Would you trade?:GK 400rb for Ampeg 350h solid state

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mindflow, Apr 30, 2005.

1. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    would you trade a GK 400rb for an Ampeg 350h solid state. i dont have much experience with the latter, what would be the pros and cons? also, i got my 400rb new for about $400, i have a friend at GC. thanks for any help
  2. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've played them both and I wouldn't trade.The 400RB (despite the ampeg having a bigger power rating )is louder and punchier and will cut through much better.IME The Ampeg lacks headroom.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Don't trade.
  4. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Keep the Gk. I could never get rid of mine.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even though I'm using my Peavey more these days, I'll never get rid of my GK 400RB. Great amp, and as soon as I get rid of it, I'm going to miss it. You will too.

Besides, the Ampeg you're looking at is hardly worth the name.
  7. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Keep the GK. Even if you buy something else, keep the GK.
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, I wouldn't. The GK is a better amp, IME.
  9. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Keep the GK.

Costs less, but is a better amp for nearly all applications.
  10. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
  11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Seems unanimous...keep the GK! I have an '87 400RB and I prefer it to the Ampeg B2R (rack version of the 350H) I used to have. The Ampeg (while being higher wattage) had less usable volume and components seemed kinda chintzy. GK gets very loud and is still in excellent condition after 18 years without a rack.

Also while it was advertised as having a variable-speed fan, my B2R had a single-speed, noisy fan that stayed on all the time. Since the majority of my rehearsals are in smallish rooms with mostly acoustic instruments I (and other musicians) found this very annoying.