1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Would you trade your bass competencies for something else?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 3bc, Mar 4, 2021.

1. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    If you’re a really good bass player and could start over, would you rather be a really good drummer, guitar player, piano player, etc?

I’m a fairly good bass player, and sometimes think to myself “if I could trade in my years of bass playing for years of piano playing, and be as good at that as I am at this, that wouldn’t suck”.

not a trade I make every day of the week by any means. Anyone else run into these thoughts?

2. Yes but I'd get banned if I elaborated.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Violin. I envy the fiddlers in the family, they can go anywhere, by bike, on the bus, on a plane.

Nuage420, inthevelvet and mikewalker like this.
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    You, too, eh? :roflmao:

obimark and 5StringBlues like this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I'd love to be a formidable singer instead of an honest bass player.

6. Indeed, I've said for years that if I could sing as well as Ron Isley I'd never have picked up the bass.

7. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Actually I am a better guitarist than bassist, but there are a million guitar players a heck of a lot better than me.

As mediocre bass players go, only about 900,000 out there are better than me. :smug:

8. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Bold of you to assume I'm competent on bass...

9. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    At this point in my life, I'd trade my bass competencies to be a proficient coder.

equill, Jefenator, klyph and 5 others like this.
  10. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Mainly drinks tokens

11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I would trade it to be a good sketch artist.

Drawing talent is supremely portable and almost universally appreciated.

I am currently at stick figure proficiency :(

12. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Sax player. I played trumpet & low brass when I was in school. But i tried to learn sax, but it has too many keys! 20 if I remember correctly....

mikewalker likes this.
  13. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Not for me. I played piano before bass, those low notes are where it’s at. Besides bass players look a lot cooler...

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    While it's certainly not as appreciated as the singer and lead guitar, I've always felt that the bass is the coolest LOOKING instrument in the band. While I'm average at best, the only thing I think I'd rather be (from a music perspective) is a great singer. But personality-wise, I'm probably better-suited as a bass player...

15. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    I'd like to be a BL so i could tell the bass player what bass, with what pickguard, and what vegetable it should be...:woot:

16. dcbluesbass

dcbluesbass

Dec 29, 2007
    S.E. Indiana
    Bagpipes!!

Hammerfield and rashrader like this.
  17. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Rodeo clown.

Son of Wobble, JRA and mikewalker like this.
  18. aeronautics engineer or formula1 driver......but in reality...."singer or drums"

Element Zero likes this.
  19. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    No. Worked too hard to achieve my mediocrity and its too much fun.

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Honestly I don’t spend a lot of time wishing about abilities I do not have.

But when I do, I’d dream about being able to sing strong and smoky like Jeff Buckley. He could just melt people in any live situation without even trying. That would be fun.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021