1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wouldn't anyone play a metric bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gln1955, Nov 30, 2018.

1. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The recent threads about scales got me thinking that I'd never seen a bass built on anything but Imperial units for the scale length. Even the top notch European builders spec their scales in even inches with an odd number metric equivalent listed. It's remarkable that this is so engrained in the industry that builders who use metric for everything else in their lives would design basses with inches.

I'm sure someone will bring up some metric European basses to prove me wrong and that's OK.

jamro217, Bengerm77, BradH and 4 others like this.
  2. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    What difference does it make? If someone told you their bass was 88.9cm would you not play it? Would it be more enticing?
    It's just the norm.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  3. It's because the musical instrument business is international. The USA is the biggest single market and if your product isn't measured in inches most Americans will have no idea what size it is but will have the suspicion that your product is somehow a threat to their way of life and the purity of their precious bodily fluids.

noelpaz, nonohmic, zortation and 55 others like this.
  4. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Because it would be confusing to lazy, small American brains like mine. How many centimeters in a deciliter? Stupid Europeans and their hoity-toity elitist units of measurement. They think they’re so smart.

5. AHaze

AHaze

Feb 17, 2017
    Have a look at the Ric website. Scale length is listed first as 84.5 cm with 33 1/4" listed behind it in brackets. Sorry America, you lose!

6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    darn...I thought this thread was going to be about the band Metric :(

7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Who has an 87cm scale bass?

GBBSbassist likes this.
  8. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    Valid question. Countries who do not officially use the metric system are marked in red:

metric-system.

9. This graph, however, is more to the point:

world-economy-by-gdp-2017-7c32.

10. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    A soccer ball? Really?

11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Don't you mean Football?
    (It's what every other country calls that sport) you know, the same places that use the metic system.

12. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Football is a real man's game that leaves men battered and crippled for life. Soccer is what suburbanites take their not-particularly-athletic kids to play on the weekend. See the difference?

5StringBlues, ELG60, alder and 20 others like this.
  13. @saabfender, I am afraid you re not even joking :D So let me fix that for you:
    There is a world out there you know right? And in this world, pretty much every kid kicks around a ball. A soccer ball as you would call it ;)

Oddly, barrenelly, Jeff Scott and 8 others like this.
  14. I live in one of the metric countries, and I sometimes come across a bass spec sheet that gives a metric-only scale.

And whenever that happens, I run to my measuring tape (which has both metric and imperial markings) to find out what scale they are talking about. :laugh:

So yes, I think imperial scale lengths are ingrained in today's world. Certainly in mine.

15. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    "Why would anyone play a base that isn't metric?"

Fixed it for you

ctmullins, macmanlou and delta7fred like this.
  16. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    There ya go. 75% of the world economy operates with the metric system. :thumbsup:

17. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Not so far, we haven't!

Dan

RyanJD and Templar like this.
  18. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    My bass has a 35" scale and a string spacing of 19mm.

I don't know why, but in scale lengths, inches it is.

19. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    String gauge and speaker diameter are measured in inches too.

20. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    A 39.37" scale bass? Nah, that's a clumsy number.

jamro217 likes this.