1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wow. These $39 fuses sure make a difference.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uaudio, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    http://www.aaudioimports.com/ShowProduct.asp?hProduct=37

As is stated in the peer-reviewed marketing materials, these are "audiophile quality" so I had to check them out. I demand no compromise in all my gear, so once I found out they were space-age slow blow fuses - for the best quality sound - I had to buy over 9000 of them. And is typical for well designed fuses of this caliber, they can add powerful and deep lows as well as shimmering highs to your sound. Details AND transparency - at the SAME TIME!

I've started to replace each fuse before every gig to create an airy and spacious sound stage for my listeners.

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    unbelievable :rollno:

Also unbelievable is that they're not marketed by Monster...yet ;)

3. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Wow so you could just buy a cheap crappy amp and put these in it to get superb sound??
    WOW thats amazing :eek:

4. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    This is it! The missing element!!!! Anything to avoid practice... :meh:

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Sigh....another talking snake.....

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    So where, exactly, in the signal chain are these inserted? I would be interested (not @ $39) if they were fuses that actually worked better as fuses, but audio quality? C'mon!

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
  8. I'm actually quite familiar with these. My former boss swore they made a difference and included them with our CD-player and amplifier. Apparently the direction you mount them in makes a difference as well. I did thorough listening tests and I was never able to discern a difference. One day he had a bunch of local audiophiles in to audition them. That morning, we had a bit of a falling out, so when he went out to lunch, I put the amp and CDP on the bench and hardwire bypassed all of the fuseholders out of spite. When the guys came in, they spent several hours auditioning various combinations of fuses and going on at length about the huge differences between them and regular fuses; between the various current values and in the direction they were installed. I never did tell them that they were listening to the same thing every time. :ninja:

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Awesome! :p

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is my favorite part:

"When I began experimenting with power cords in the early 80's, many people dismissed aftermarket "audiophile" power cords as snake oil. The usual comment was usually something along the lines of, "With all that wire inside the wall, a high quality cord on the other side of the socket can't possibly matter." Well, as it turns out it does matter, and for the most part audiophiles don't argue about that anymore. In the years since, high end cable manufacturers have improved this technology to the degree that it's almost a moot point, even to those who don't want to believe. The debate now is more likely price versus value rather than "if" power cords matter."

Hmmm, I thought that audiophile cable nonsense was far from settled. And it seems like it's no coincidence that the guy sells the fuses on his site. Yeah, I'm convinced :p

12. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I do this in every club I play.

13. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    At least in the olden days you could catch a buzz from snake oil, nowadays you just say goodbye to your cash (and your common sense). :D

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Doesn't everyone?

15. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Every now and again on this forum I like to brag about how I cancelled my subscriptions to Stereophile and Absolute Sound. Here I go again. Some things ya just can't seem to stop braggin' about. :cool:;)

M. M.

16. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Only those who settle for nothing short of the ULTIMATE tone.

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    classic :)

18. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    What in the world? There is a sucker born evey minuite. I hope this thread is a joke because that's what those fuses are. No benefit at all from them. I've been in the elecrtrical trade since 1975 and had a journeyman IBEW ticket for 20 years and know this is a farce.

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have immense respect for anyone who can make money out of selling these fuses, or "audio quality" power cords for that matter. They have hit on a fantastically successful way of taking money from the kind of people who actively enjoy giving it to them, and at profit margins most businesses can only dream about. Good show! [golf clap]

20. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Next we'll want audiophile circuit breakers and outlets...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.