Yacht Rock?! Who has experience.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jimmy4string, Jun 21, 2022.

1. As the Blues Image plays in the background and the coffee kicks in this morning I wonder.
    Maybe yacht rock?! Any you guys do any Yacht rock bands? OR any tunes like Doobies or looking glass?
    I am curious about audience response? Aquiring band members. Harmonies are a must!
    Your comments are most welcome!
    YachtR.jpg

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) What is "the Blues Image"?

2) We are a three-part harmony band. Most of our songs would not fall under yacht rock. We do, however, do the ever loving crap out of "Takin It To the Streets".
    (106) Takin' It to the Streets - YouTube

Gotta have keys. Gotta have a patient guitar player who will play exactly what's needed, and not a note more. Gotta have harmonies. Wish we had a conga player.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics

4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Yes, and it is not easy, but the audience response is huge. People love this stuff. The biggest problem is that it has to be done right, and well. You can't throw together janky players and make it work. And good players want to be paid. I will send you some video from a recent show via PM and I'm happy to answer any questions if I can.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Paging @4Mal . His primary band is on something more or less like that wavelength and stays as busy as they want to be. And yeah, I'd definitely say harmonies are a must.

Ronzo, Jimmy4string and LBS-bass like this.
  6. "1) What is "the Blues Image"?"
    "73 men sailed out..."

7. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    We have a couple of Yacht rock songs in my main band. They go over well mixed into our generally classic rock vibe..

The biggest problem with this genre is finding musicians who will embrace it. I believe there are plenty of events and venues where this would go over well.

BTW, I don't consider the Doobies to be a "Yacht rock" example. Yes they have a handful of songs that would fit in that mix, but their catalog as a whole is a lot rockier than a typical Yacht rock artist (Jimmy Buffet, America, Seals and Croft, Loggins and Messina etc)

Artman, DrCannabass, Dynacord and 5 others like this.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Harmonies sell... period. In our book we have 60's through early 2k light rock. Generally presented at low volume. Many folks here would despise the setlist and approach. Audiences respond and as @Passinwind indicated, we work a lot.

Beatles, Hollies, Spirit, Poco, Eagles, Marshal Tucker, Pete Anderson period Dwight Yokam, Cyndi Lauper, Sheryl Crowe, Al Green, Bill Withers, Tom Petty and especially the Petty duets like Stop Draggin' my Heart Around, Buffet for the Parrotheads... the list goes on... CSN, Neil Young but with the light rock treatment - See Roxette Heart of Gold... We also do some of the Buddy and Julie Miller duets. Male and Female duets simply sell. and on and on... a dozen years of assembling a book... got to give the people... the people what they want....

I do some classic country- Brooks and Dunn, Byrds, bluegrass done for the harmonies, swing and western swing. Very deep in our book we have classic Doobies, Wild Cherry, Commodores... We are an unabashedly commercial enterprise.

We are kinda like a Yacht Rock band with a Country side. You kinda have to be in this part of the world.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Fretless1!, BadJazz, jamro217 and 9 others like this.
  10. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Absolutely. And it is difficult to assemble a group of players with the skill to pull it off and the work ethic to bring it at the level it needs to be with consistency.

11. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I don't know if I'd call my band a Yacht Rock Band. But, we do play Doobies, Eagles, Foreigner, Journey, Styx, CSNY, Orleans, and throw in some Motown, a little newer Country and a current(ish) Jason Mraz and Ed Sheeran. Definitely 3-part harmonies, no drummer and no keys.... Acoustic guitar, Electric guitar, Bass and female lead singer.

We're staying as busy as we'd like snd have been doing this for 8 years.

12. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    I'd kill to find a good yacht rock band! It's a higher calling than being in a bar cover band, more like a wedding band skill level required. Also, don't forget Gary Wright and Steely Dan!

Artman, pjbassist, rylie and 5 others like this.
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I think that is kind of a problem with any cover band. The 'art' is doing like you mean it, not being a poser and phoning it in...

The singing part makes it for me. When our harmonies are on for a song like Teach Your Children.. it is a joy to sing with my band mates. Our harmonies are mostly on but hey, sometimes iffy happens in which case I back off a bit. I am the weakest singer in Willy & Nelson. I am second singer in Ravin' my blues, Zydeco, R&B thing. We are new and the harmonies are a work in progress. I'm getting a lot more lead vocal time and I'm enjoying that.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    spatters and LBS-bass like this.
  14. My trio performs Ride Captain Ride often, a lot of Doobies and Yacht Rock chestnuts as well. In a (3) pc format it's a bit different but we arrange it around our sound.
    Simply put the genre works great with folks when you hit the notes, when you don't it's an instant train wreck.

6-3-2 and Jimmy4string like this.
  15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    We dabbled. Audiences go bonkers for it. Problem is you gotta have a keyboard player who is a note for note kind of guy and ours just did not or could not go there.

Tight vocals are a must as well and we really didn't have that part down either.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  16. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    You need to watch Episode 1 of Yacht Rock. Which doesn't refute you.

17. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Here's a couple (off the port bow :D):

18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I do "Baby Come Back" in a party rock band. It kills, people love it no matter what age they are.

19. What about The Carpenters' material?

68Tele-Bass and Bass-ball like this.
  20. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I think Pablo Cruise "Love Will Find a Way" is probably the quintessential Yacht tune. One I don't see on Yachty set lists much is "How Long" by Ace, which is a shame 'cause it's such a great track!