1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha HS8 and HS8s, lowpass sub, vs crossover sub

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by castlev, Feb 10, 2018.

1. castlev

castlev

Mar 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    Hi everyone, I need some advice about configuring my Yamaha studio monitors, and sub. For the longest time, I have been running my mixer main out to the sub, and from the sub to the main monitors, utilizing the crossover on the sub.

However, I've been considering connecting my monitors to the mixer main outputs for full range stereo output, and the sub to the 2nd outputs for when it's needed.I would still be utilizing the low pass on the sub though.

The reason I would like to do this is so i can mix with full range on my yamaha hs8's and hear the stereo image as low as they will go with the sub off. When I want to hear the sub's lower 80-32hz when needed, i can raise the mixers 2nd output fader to drive the sub to mix it in. However I am worried about phasing issues because the full range monitors will overlap the sub down past 80hz. fwiw, my sub is dead center between my monitors under my desk, though ideally i would like it just to the left of my left monitor.

Is anyone doing this with positive results?