Yamaha, Peavy, Ashdown...I'm a first timer buying used, I need advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashacado, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ashacado

ashacado

Mar 24, 2009
    Here are two rigs that are for sale used in my area. I'm going to go check them out but beyond obvious defects, my ear isn't experienced enough to distinguish a good sound from a bad one.

Peavey BAM 210 Combo, it's a 350W. Used but like new for 800$. (List price on this is 1600$)

Yamaha BBT-500H head. Again, used but like new for 350$. (List price here is 950$). This guy also has a 4 x 10 Ashdown cab Mag 410t for 350$ (List price 650$). I'm betting I could get both for 600$.

Thoughts? Help?

2. this one

3. ashacado

ashacado

Mar 24, 2009
    I also have the possible option of buying just the head here and there is another guy selling an Ampeg BSE410H for 350$ that would be compatible with the yamaha head.

I'm guessing this would be more durable and give a better sound?

4. the ashdown cab specs say it can handle more watts but the ampeg has a slightly lower reach.
    i would say the ashdown could get a little louder and stay clear.

5. ashacado

ashacado

Mar 24, 2009
    hmm, interesting. i'm going to go see what they're like this evening. it seems like the most sensible option for me. i didn't really want to spend more than 500-700$ and i think this kit could do what i want it to do.

6. one note: both of the cabs you are looking at are 8 ohm cabs... in order to get he full 500 watts out of your yamaha head you will need a 2 ohm load... which is 4 of those cabs

maybe look for a decent 410 that is 4ohms so you get 250 watts... or two 4ohm cabs to get the 500...

or keep looking for a different option all together

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021