1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

YAMAHA TRB CLUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mabis2012, Nov 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Salmiak

Salmiak

Aug 14, 2018
    Sweden
    Thanks! Yes, I’ve taken really good care of it. It still looks new but it’s not. Haha

Yamaha basses are great value. I have 5. A 2nd hand BB424/425 can’t be beat! I’m also a Peavey bass fan boy. Any BXP model is cheap but good. Of course US made is great and they turn up all the time. Another favorite is G&L Tribute series. Squier Classic vibe series is good too. There’s also Sire basses. And last but not least, maybe best bang for the buck - Thomann’s Harley Benton. Unbelievably cheap and not bad at all. Lots of models

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  2. MachMike

MachMike Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2020
    My first Bass was A Peavey Foundation S. I regret selling that one, they were just easy to play and the best bass I could have learned on.

3. Salmiak

Salmiak

Aug 14, 2018
    Sweden
    Always on the look out. Would love me a Foundation, a Fury, a Patriot or/and a T20

4. Has anyone found a preamp yet that works with the dummy coil pickups? I have a '98 TRB4 II recently purchased and it seems to be hungry for batteries, also I miss not having detents. I dont really want to have to buy pickups as well.

5. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
  6. I've got a 98 TRB6II and my cheaper fix was to just start using rechargeable batteries.
    D79E1DCA-5889-42A2-9953-B5817C9582AF.jpeg

Versatek6, Marty Forrer and gigetto like this.
  7. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Strange...My TRB 6 II works long enough without changeing battery....

tdstiayw likes this.
  8. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Anybody compared TRB 6 II to 6 I? I never tired the I....

9. I think the preamp is faulty. I go through a battery in one gig.

10. Wow! I removed the preamp and wired it up passive. Sounds as good as with the preamp and no more worries about batteries. I wired it like a Jazz bass with volume, volume and tone. The dummy coils (white wire) I joined to the earth wire and it's completely noise free, even right up under a neon light.

RumbleBot likes this.
  11. If it's really in one gig (few hours ?) then there's a problem like a bad isolation. If it's in 1 or 2 days it can be the jack input not opening the 9V circuit when unplugged.

12. I don't even know if there's a preamp that works well with these pickups dummy coil or not. I didn't take the chance and went for Delano preamp+pups and couldn't be happier.

13. To me the biggest difference is 35" vs 34". This is a great move IMO, for the tone.

Barcza likes this.
  14. Oh wow! That's bad! My TRB6II eats batteries quicker than my other basses, but it still takes months to do it. Must be a preamp issue.

15. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Yeah, But I prefer 34' most of the basses, not just for comfort, but for feel and most of the 34' basses has snappier attack of midrange register, while 35' often better lows and better low B, but some 34' basses can solve it....

knight of ni likes this.
  16. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I think yours not work properly, in my TRB II the Battery lasting approx 20 hours...

17. What if you solo a pickup and try that?

I can't remember, but I think the dummy coils only get used when the pan controls are moved away from the centre mixing detent. In the centre, I believe the two single coils are wired to be hum-bucking like a jazz bass.

Could be wrong, though.

brooklynbassguy likes this.
  18. An Audere preamp lasts 250 hours.

Barcza likes this.
  19. If anyone is interested, I played a gig with my TRB-II wired up passive like a Fender Jazz bass and it sounded every bit as good as with the preamp, but I wasn't stressing about the battery dying. In fact I really liked the single coil sound but the dummy coils kept them dead quiet. I'm digging it.

Mark Hughes and RumbleBot like this.
  20. ianpablo

ianpablo

Oct 2, 2015
    Hello guys! I just got this trb5p bass today and it sounds and feels amazing.

I just noticed that when im on Piezo mode, the B string volume is lower than the other strings. Anybody had the same issue with their trbp's?
    Thank you!!!

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021