1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yes! Electric Bass Degree

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PNeher, Nov 8, 2010.

1. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    Yup, it's possible now at the University of Arizona, School of Music to get a BA or BM on electric bass. MM too! I have opened up my studio to include all basses and all genres of music. Woo Hoo! Check it out at:
    http://www.u.arizona.edu/~neher/Studio.html. Download the entire syllabus on this page (pdf). Feel free to IM any questions.
    Ciao!
    Patrick

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sadly, I think that and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee...

3. I have to disagree w/ kesslari- I think you will be very well qualified to do a number of performance related activities to give yourself alternate streams of income, like teaching and also writing instructional material- books, online courses, etc.

But in terms of gigging, well maybe kesslari is right.

4. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    it will also get you instruction by a world class musician, exposure to other musicians eager to develop their skills and an experience in an academic setting that was unheard of until, well until Professor Neher started this program.

A degree goes a hell of a lot further than a cup of coffee and this is coming from somebody who works in government in a position that requires a degree, any degree. Most employers in my sector only want to see that somebody followed through with something in their lives and they don't care what your subject of study was as long as you have a degree from an accredited university.

5. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    It would be cool if the colleges in the valley offfered classes that could be attended by working adults in lieu of lessons at 50 bucks plus an hour. Nice program for those that can attend!

6. Why so negavtive man? Education is a GOOD thing! Having a degree on your instrument is a GOOD thing! I studied with some AMAZING players that weren't ABLE to get their degress because they didn't play upright. I would like to applaud this program and the professor that pushed so hard to get it approved. KUDOS!

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    There are worthy basslines in these to pursue in a BM program? :meh: :confused:

Bruce Springstein (sp?) :eek:

Apparently spelling isn't a prerequisite in college anymore.

8. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    The value should be in what you learn, not what people think of your piece of paper

9. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Excellent. Great opportunity to learn bass in a formal environment. Bravo to the professor!

10. Looks quite interesting. Can a student major in Education with a bass guitar major? I would say, if so, the graduate might find it hard to get a teaching gig with no knowledge of bowing technique. The best of both worlds in a college setting would be to combine double bass with electric bass, having to pass jurys in both. Studying the double bass and playing in an orchestra makes a graduate more marketable with exposire to bowing, vibrato, and trying to play each note in tune!!

Are you passing through Buffalo in the near future? (Please, no Bills cracks!)

11. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I think it looks pretty cool. I mean, how many schools offer a degree in electric bass? In terms of knowledge, it could be quite invaluable. As to whether or not you could procure gainful employement from it misses the point, me thinks. How the knowledge is implemented by the student has a greater bearing on the personality of the student. It's about music, not money. An artist rarely lives off of their art.

12. YL_Bass

YL_Bass

Dec 3, 2009
    Langley, BC
    Can it be taken online?

I really want to get certified, the only teaching school in the area requires "certification" of some kind.

Oh I've stood in for major label acts and know my theory inside and out. Can play classical and jazz standup. I took lessons from seasoned pros. I've gigged for years but that isn't good enough without a 2 year diploma from a community college. They wouldn't even sit me down to listen to me play or ask me about theory.

:/

13. I myself debated whether or not majoring in bass guitar, but I decided against it as the university I was considering wasn't the best I could attend, the instructor had some damn good credentials too (a Grammy or two)

14. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Since very, very few gigs require a degree, and a music education major with only EB as an instrument would be at a disadvantage (I've taught music for 34 in private, public schools) I don't see what a degree is going to do for a person. What knowledge is given that cant be gained from private lessons? I'm thinking that a person who really wants to play would be better off listening to as much music as they can and spending the tution money on private lessons (even like plane travel to other cities to study with world class players). I agree finishing a degree DOES say something about a person and their ability to finish a goal.... but if you are going to go through all that, why not get a degree in something that just might lead to some level of employment.

To get a college education you are spending time AND money.....what do you get in return?

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    That depends entirely on the degree and the cup of coffe involved.

I personally would not sign up for an electric bass degree, but would go for a good cup of coffee any time of the day...it's also a hell lot cheaper , just in case it's not as good as promised...my two beans:)
    I hold a music degree and had excellent bass teachers during that time... I am really glad that it was not a "bass degree" as I learnt about other instruments, arrangement, counterpoint, history etc..., got to know future collegues and employers
    I got a deep and well rounded education, which to me is very important.

If an electric bass degree gives all this...it might just work.
    So far I have not seen one.
    But at the end of course, it's all down to what any individual wants from a degree.

16. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL

The point was, you can point to any degree and call it worthless. Including my old roommate's law degree which prepared him well to open up a bar after he realized it was much harder to get work as a lawyer than he he had imagined :D

17. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Piermont, New York
    True enough, no one ever asked to see my degree before they hire me for a gig. It doesn't mean it was worthless. The skill I acquired in obtaining it was why they were hiring me,even if they didn't know it.

Then there are my classmates that wound up with teaching gigs at universities after establishing them selves as players. The degree was invaluable to them. My friends that are GREAT players with no degrees are going back to get them...

18. Atually, more like that and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee.

19. Those teaching gigs were plentiful at the University level until about 5 years ago. Enrollment in these programs is down, since many finally realized that the primary value was to get a teaching gig in a similar program. It become very circular after a while. How, the business of gigging is down so much that these universities can get serious heavy weight talent as faculty, versus a schmoe with a music degree that no one has heard of.

Doesn't mean it is worthless, just that you had better have a VERY strong 'plan B'.

Sorry to be harsh, but you will thank me in 25 years... a lot!

20. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Man, if they only offered that along with a degree in Philosophy you'd be SET!
    :D

Education is a good thing, but +1 for a plan B.