Yet another string dilemma

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JimmyM, Sep 23, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So I got into a huge disagreement with my regular band's drummer and long story short, I'm leaving the band and refusing to bring my upright anymore for my remaining gigs. I won't bore you with the ugly details but basically he weaseled me right out of a huge oldies gig that I brought to the band and made happen. So as bringing the upright adds about 20 minutes to setup and tear down, I've decided that they're not worth it.

So my dilemma is that I have been playing mostly slap bass in that band and have my bass strung with Clef plain guts. And now, there won't be much of an opportunity to play slap as much as jazz casuals and dinner sets. Now I absolutely love the sound of the plain guts except for the E, but I'm wondering if using them will cause people to not want to hire me for jazz casuals. I have a set of Obligatos here that I could change into, but while they have a good sound, I don't dig the sound as much as the plain guts except for the E. Alternately, I have E and A Eudoxas that match up great with the D and G plain guts, so I could try that option as well.

The important thing is for me to get gigs, despite my preferences. So if you were me, what would you do?

Stick with plain guts?

Put the Obligatos on?

Put the Eudoxa E and A on and leave the D and G plain guts?

I'm going to ask this question on Talkbass,, and alt.guitar.bass and go with the consensus.

Thanks all!
  2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    I have nothing but good things to say about obliagtos.