Yorkville stuff?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ruffroka321, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ruffroka321

Sep 13, 2004
    Well, pretty much I need to know if yorkville really sucks. I've been looking at swr wm 12s and 15s and along the way I came across the yorkville BassMaster XM200. it was a little more than the WM 12 and it has 200W. i figured it was too good of a price for 200W (a little less than 500$). If u guys need to see it, it was at MF. thanx
    P.S. i play all kinds of rock even tho the sn is ruffroka. i like punk, alternative, indie, emo, pop punk, blah blah blah.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yorkville stuff is well made and sounds good.

It definitely does not suck and if YOU like the sound, go for it.

The higher wattage and larger speaker should give you noticeably more usuable volume than the WM12.
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I second that. All the Yorkville stuff I've come across appears well-built and their warranty is great.
  4. IMHO Yorkville stuff USED to suck way back in the 70s, but that was then and this is now. What I see on their web site looks very well made product and is probably a very good bargain. I like the looks of the 800w head! Their PA Power Amplifiers look pretty awesome, and their speakers look pretty darn bulletproof.

Like others have said, if you like the sound... BUY IT!
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA

My still-going-strong, still-completely-original early 70's Traynor 6x10 cabinet disagrees with you.

A lot of other folks 'round here have Traynor/Yorkville stuff from the 60's and 70's that they won't let go.

I have a suspicion you're gonna take a pounding for that remark.... :bag: :smug:
  6. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    When my SWR SuperRedhead was in the shop, I rented a Yorkie 15 combo. Don't know the model number, but it really kicked.

7. The question was Yorkville, Not Traynor I never would say that Traynor made bad stuff... actually as I remember it was bad ass.
    But Traynor and Yorkville USED to be two separate product lines, and in fact I believe they were two different companies at one time. I had a friend with a Yorkville PA during the 70s and it was a POS.

Now Traynor made gear as solid as the rest of the business. I had lots of friends that lived by it.

Traynor and Yorkville may have been the same company at the time I don't really know that history, but the quality of the two lines was not remotely similar.

Oh, and pound away..... :eyebrow:
  8. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yorkville and Traynor have been the same company for quite some time, including in the 70's. My early 70's Traynor YC-610 has a "Yorkville Sound" label on the back of it. And the new Traynor offerings, such as the YBA-200 head (YBA = Yorkville Bass Amp?) have Yorkville written all over them. The 60's and 70's heads were prefixed with YBA as well.

Of course, not everything they put out was golden. Your friend's PA may have been a POS, as you say. Don't think I'm defending everything they've ever put out.

But Yorkville and Traynor are sorta like Chrysler and Plymouth, and have been for decades.

9. How Embarrassing...now I got to thinking of it and I think it was actually a YORK. My bad... it was black tolex covered with red grill cloth. Sorry guys, the memory is getting a little foggy in my old age...
  10. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I had a Yorkie at one time.

She picked a fight with a Newfoundland, and lost. :(
  11. Yorkville's latest bass amps are real good stuff. I'm looking into buying the XS400H head, with the XS210 cab. Sounds really nice. My keyboardist has a 50 watt combo keyboard amp and it's much louder than my 60 watt Behringer, and sounds great.

12. Did she ever lock on to your leg? :eek:

I thought about that damn PA all morning and I have a picture of it in my head. It was a 4 channel mixer/head with two column speakers with 2-10" speakers and a horn in each. It had black tolex with red speaker cloth and the head had an aluminum faceplate with those big clunky 70s knobs. It had the name York on the face plate and the speaker columns... I am pretty sure it was made in Japan or China, no way it was in any way related to Traynor/Yorkville. Sometimes those cobwebs get kinda thick...

So you were right, I have to hoist the [​IMG] Flag on myself. So now while everyone is having a good time at my expense...[​IMG] I guess it's time go get outa here [​IMG]
  13. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Don't sweat it, man.

Speaking as one who's over the hill myself, we understand.

Where it really gets bad is when you start putting salt in your coffee, thinking it's sugar. :eek:

14. It's bad when you are sure you are right then start remembering bits and pieces that make you realize you were way off... I hate it when that happens... :help: ;)
  15. ruffroka321

Sep 13, 2004
    well thanx guys. im goin to GC this weekend so ill look into all the yorkville stuff. I'm almost sure il end up getting that now since its such a better deal. thanx again...
    rock on... or blues on... or whatever you play :bassist:
  16. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Traynor always was Yorkville. Basically Pere Traynor was under the wing of "Yorkville". This excelent PDF article gives the whole history, covers each product, and details many innovations that came from Traynor before other brands made them more popular.

Also good reading for any electroincs geeks/engineers as it talks a lot about Pete Traynor and the principals of Long & McQuade as opposed to just "the corporation".

17. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Here's a synopsis of the first 7 years, also from the Yorkville site. Several "fists" here, including first portable PA, first 8x10 cab, first wedge monitor, and a few times they had the world's loudest bas amp (see above linked PDF for details).

Here are some early milestones along that 37-year pathway:

the YSC-1 portable PA column (6x8" speakers, 150 watts, 5.3 Ohms) filled a huge gap. Portable PA was unknown at the time and they could be used with any commercial PA amp.

the "Dynabass", later re-named the YBA-1 "Bass Master" was a tube head (45 Watts rms, no clipping @ 8 Ohms) cleverly designed to please bass and guitar players alike.

the YVM-1 "Voice Master" 4-channel, 45-watt PA head
    another "first". But this one had a few extra "firsts". All inputs and speaker outputs were standard 1/4-inch jacks, there were In and Out effects patching jacks, switchable speaker impedance matching and a Master Volume control!

the MX-1, a battery-powered mini-mixer could add 4 channels to any PA

the YBA-3 "Custom Special" (130 Watts no clipping rms @ 4 Ohms) made it the most powerful bass head then on the North American market, and possibly in the world.

the YC-810 (200 watts, 4 Ohms) "Big B" bass cabinet with eight ten-inch drivers was the first of its kind and originally came on a massive tube steel "swivel dolley".

the LS-1 lighting system (8 floods on 2 t-bars with switch controller) was many years ahead of its time.

the TRC-2A "Roto Master", rotating horn box for guitar, was a unique forerunner to the flanger and chorus.

the YGM-1 "Guitar Mate" tube combo (12" speaker, 20 watts no clipping rms @ 8 Ohms) was an instant success and, when replaced by the updated, 25-Watt YGM-3 in 1969, quickly became one of the industry leaders for its quality and versatility.

the YBA-3A, "Super Custom Special" fan-cooled bass head (minimum 250 Watts rms no clipping @ 2 Ohms) could put out over 400 watts if driven hard enough and had to be used with two YC-810 "Big B’s". The 100-pound monster used four 6KG6A TV verticle hold tubes for output and was a "first" for Yorkville, and the world.

the MX-8, a nonpowered 8-channel mono mixer brought club PA into the multi-channel era.

the YPM-1 mono power amp (100 watts @4 Ohms) went with the MX-8 & MX-24.

the MX-24 was the world’s first 24-channel, multi-bus mixer designed specifically for full-scale live sound contracting. Such an operation was run by Pete Traynor from 1969 to 1971 ("Strawberry Fields", "Lighthouse at Varsity Stadium", "Gordon Lightfoot at Massey Hall", "Johnny Winter at Maple Leaf Gardens", "Steve Miller in Toronto", etc., etc., ). With no others known to have been in existance yet, this operation was a "first" in its own right.

the YSR-2 "Signature Reverb" combo (4x10", 2 chan., 45 watts) was a "first" in that it introduced the guitar amp world to one of its most enduring features the Master Volume control.

the "wedge" floor monitor was created for Pete’s contract system. A later spin-off, the YSM-1 (not to be confused with the present day studio monitor), was another "first", not only because it was a wedge monitor when there were no others, but also because its unique design provided two different up-facing angles.
  18. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    Yorkville is Good stuff!! :bassist:
    xm200t 2/10 combo loadest 200 watt cab ive played!! :)
  19. Yorkville is like any audio company that markets particular lines of gear to certain market segments.

For example, I rented a set of 115 (15") PA speakers which sounded like trash (Performance Series). Keep in mind that these suckers are something like $250 per speaker. Economics dictate that at that price, something has to suffer... and in this case it was sound quality.

That being said, I have other Yorkville products that sound absolutely incredible! I have an XS400 head which absolutely blows my mind for sound quality AND it looks GREAT! I also have their YSM1P studio monitors, which I love.

You cannot beat their warranty and service department. I've only had to deal with them once, and they were incredible! My powered monitors developed a rattle, which they fixed for free even though I bought the speakers used. Since getting them back they have been 100% perfect without a hint of rattle.

IMHO you will never regret a Yorkville purchase (just stay away from the Performance series : ) )

- Andrew
  20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Hey, the company never specified "Stellar" Performance ;).

I've got a Yorkville 100B that I love, and I'm selling soon -- but only so I can upgrade to the XS400 combo and XC115 or XC210 setup. I love Yorkville gear, personally. GREAT bang for the buck.