You can't funk a Rickenbacker, ha!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Scott, May 20, 2022.

1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    They say, huh? ;)

2. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Bonus points - Road cabinets.

3. Rick James concurs.

Bulltrout, Low8, SirMjac28 and 16 others like this.
  4. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    I just wish I could get away with such stylish outfits.

Bob_Ross, Winslow, truand85 and 2 others like this.
  5. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Absolutely. Don't let the humble Rick 400x fool you. I had flats on my first 4001 for a while and, unknown to me at the time, it was a total funk machine. Very close to a Jazz with flats, but with with that Rickenbacker kind of "thing" going on underneath, a little thinner but with the hard "pop" when you want it. Wish I still had a 4003 with flats. You can get some amazing chocolate out of that thing...

Watching those Dynasty videos.... I was born 40 years too late. I would have killed if that could have been me.... :) Some of the best music ever made...

L

DWBass, OkayistBassist and fig like this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A lot of us have been talking about Leon Sylvers III for years on TB. I saw him live, first with the Sylvers, then with Dynasty. My first nice bass was a Ric 4000 and for a while, I set it up like Leon Sylvers with flats and my mutes turned up.

7. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Cool! I've funked with my Ricky for years. It's also my go-to reggae bass, and has been for a long time. Don't get me wrong, it'll Geddy and Squire just great, but a Rick is capable of much more than that. Another fine example, here!

8. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Yes yes that grooves :bassist:

9. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    Awesome intro to Silvers work. I’ve definitely heard and admired his work before, just never knew who it was. What an amazing talent, and thanks for sharing.

As for Ricks, had one and got the T shirt. Great instrument, but I’m a PB round wound kind a guy from way back.

10. LedReign

LedReign

Feb 17, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Wait, is this something people actually say? Wouldn’t that ridiculous…

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I always thought the problem was with slap. Rics produce a really nasty sound if the strings ever come in contact with the pickup pole pieces.

It did not take me very long to figure out how to get past the problem. Just play thumb strokes over the edge of the finger board. With a proper setup, this keeps the strings from hitting the pole pieces...or at least it did on my 4001.

Looks funky enough in this video:

Possum Jenkins on bass :rolleyes::roflmao:
    upload_2022-5-21_0-8-6.png

12. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I've done plenty of Disco and funky music with my Ricks, They seem perfect for the music, IME. And I might do so again if my keys friend gets more motivated.

CryingBass, Dr. Cheese and Wasnex like this.
  13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Same here...I also used mine for big band and jazz trio.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

Yep, exactly. I mean, you can slap a Ric, but you gotta work at it. It just doesn't lend itself to that as easily as some other basses.

But funk? Yeah. All day, everyday, and twice on Sundays. Played a Ric for many years. :thumbsup:

15. Patti LaBelle's bassist used a Ric on "Lady Marmalade" (the band was called "LaBelle" and it was a hit in 1975). That is funky and doesn't sound like what you'd expect from a 4001. Rics suffer from the same pigeonholing that Telecaster guitars do. People expect to hear the signature sound from them and nothing else. The neck pickup on a tele sounds very much like a strat. The neck pickup on a Ric has enough bass response to get the job done. Remember, EQ is your friend.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  17. I heard that!

18. 1969 Rickenbacker 4001 fretless with Rotosound Tru Bass 88 Tapewound strings.

:)

Last edited: May 21, 2022