1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You guessed it... another "keep or sell" (50's Sting Sig.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtrom, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Keep it you silly boy!

92 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Sell it ya' goof!

56 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I don't give a care!

30 vote(s)
    18.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    So you want the sound of the Split-coil Precision pickup? Both Fralin and Novak make split-coil takes on the '51 pickup which would put you closer to that sound without routing. I'm rather surprised to hear that it lacks lows and highs, I've used a few Telecaster/SCPB basses and they've always sounded very strong across the board, though a bit more high mids/aggressive than a typical Split-coil, which has more low-mids and less attack. It'd also say they sound a bit more open, less compressed than the split-coil.

This is what one should sound like:

Or if you want to go with the Split-Coil, you can also do the route Dale Peters took:

jtrom likes this.
  2. Dalewyatt

Dalewyatt

Nov 7, 2017
    Newfoundland
    I vote for Sell it to me!!

jtrom likes this.
  3. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Nice. I like the sound of the Jeff Beck tone! Hard to tell how much if that is coming from the amp/any pedals but it’s rocking for sure!

4. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    So for the last couple days I’ve been listening to a bunch of videos of 51 P style basses and pickups. To my ear mine sounds nothing like these instruments... both the original pickup and the Lollar sound really similar and nothing like the clips I’ve been hearing of single coil P’s. Makes me think I have to go to Long and McQuade and try all their single coil basses to see if mine is just a dud. Which is strange but perhaps it can happen. I just threw my Californian Special neck on it to see what would happen (jazz style rosewood) and it definitely sounded different and I liked it ... too many factors! Is there such a thing as a “dead bass”? :dead:

5. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    To bring up a Zombie thread,

I just had a son this year and will hold onto the bass in case he wants it someday :)

Picton, flannel cat and CallMeAl like this.
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Congratulations!!!

jtrom likes this.
  7. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I'm in a similar situation, but in my case I don't like the neck specs so I'll sell it. In your case, I'd save $$ and mod it w/ a PU I like.

8. Congrats! Did you ever swap the pickup?

9. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    I never did end up swapping the pickup... that's still something I'm looking into. In the meantime, I've been very happy with my Gibson Grabber and Harmony P bass - those sounds cover everything I'm up to these days.

Would love to check out the Dave Reimer pups or even route it out for a TV Jones or something - I'm a big Bill Lawrence fan and someone on here suggested putting in one of their Strat pups... interesting thought.

10. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
  11. i was gonna call you crazy for wanting to sell your bass, than read this...this is way better so congrats on your sons arrival and cheers to you and yours!:thumbsup::bassist::bassist:

12. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Hey thanks!!

Ya I’m definitely going to keep it. Just put a Quarter Pounder in it and am liking it DI into logic. Might be a while before I can try it live

13. right on! i feel your pain our band played one show in march that was the start of more to come and then that was that..covid killed our spring and summer gig list.
    Now it just feels stagnent lately...Keep safe and healthy,,Cheers.

jtrom likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021