1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You guessed it... another "keep or sell" (50's Sting Sig.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtrom, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Keep it you silly boy!

92 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Sell it ya' goof!

56 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I don't give a care!

30 vote(s)
    18.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Have you tried playing upright style whole side of index finger bent at first joint from knuckle?
    My MIJ with original pickup sounds like an upright this way. Did change to a Muy Grande.

Other wise it sounds like it sounds keep it or sell. If you had a Jazz you wouldn’t be saying it doesn’t sound like your single coil or split coil P.

Elixirs give a phatter harmonic content. They made me keep a ‘57 ri. Made it a new bass.
    My tech would say put your ear to the horn and also listen to it acoustically. Is that the sound you like. If not, don’t chop, sell. I was posting pics to sell my ‘57 because it failed that test. Then the string change to Elixirs and Voila! It’s a daily player.

2. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

You only own 3 basses!?! :eek:

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sell it..someone’s bound to like the way it looks, feels and sounds. You just might help someone land the bass they’ve always wanted.

wmmj likes this.
  4. I say keep it. There will come a day when you WILL want a P-bass in your stash. You WILL want that tone.

I learned in a roundabout way that I need a P-bass around the yard.

Just because it's a "Sting" P-bass, doesn't mean a thing. Think about it this way- that was the ORIGINAL WAY Mr. Fender wanted it (at least until someone came up with the idea of reverse winding the coil on the D/G string and creating the P-PUP as we know it).

Heck, just listen to "All This Time" of Sting's The Soul Cages album. Awesome tone (and an OC-2 in there to boot!).

I betcha that if you aim for a tone like that with the instrument (hint given to me when I tried one out- roll the tone control back about 1/2 way for that "Sting tone"), you might feel totally different about that bass guitar.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    wmmj likes this.
  5. Well, there you have it, IMO. I also agree with the folks who say you need a p-bass. I haven’t had one in my arsenal for a long time and that’s something I plan to change by the end of the year.

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    any chance you got his contact info? I'm always looking for good PUs.

7. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    I WOULD ROUTE IT OUT FOR A P PUP AND MAYBE A J PUP AS WELL AND DROP IN SOME EMG GEEZERS....I'M ALL ABOUT THE HOT ROD ASPECT WHEN IT COMES TO MAKING A BASS YOUR OWN!!

8. If you didn't play it in 10 years, and its tone STILL does nothing for you after playing it again the other day, sell it already. Even if you don't need the money, what's the point in keeping a bass you don't like? Less stuff, less clutter in your life.

jtrom and jd56hawk like this.
  9. cman227

cman227

Dec 21, 2014
    I have gone through the same thing. I decided to trade it in on something that was of more use to me. The problem with selling or trading in this market is you don't really get anything for it, so if you think you can at least use it for practice then maybe keep it. Otherwise turn it into some cash. Alternatively, you could donate it to a music school.

jtrom likes this.
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Keep it. After you consider paypal and shipping fees it's probably not going to bring in enough to make it worth selling.

11. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Sell it and get something you like- someone out there is jonesing for that toneless slab

jtrom, Frank77 and jd56hawk like this.
  12. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I don't believe in keeping instruments for sentimental reasons. They're for playing. If they don't get played, they should go. It's a freeing experience. That thing you should like but don't like that's sitting in the closet is probably a psychological drag on you. Take a couple of good photos of your bass and sell it!

jtrom likes this.
  13. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Hopefully my experiences can help. I have 2 custom Warmoth bass with [neck] TV Jones ThunderBlades in the 51 pu position, a custom Cabronita with a [bridge] TV Jones ThunderBlade centered between neck & bridge, and a 51/55 P bass with a SD Custom Shop stack single.

First the TV Jones ThunderBlades. The pu position has a big impact. Per the suggestion from TV Jones, I used neck position Thunderblade and love the results. Nice round lows, shimmering highs. Very quiet.
    IMG_0989.jpg
    Here's the black bass from a recent mix: You Can't Run 11.mp3

I originally bought a TV Jones [neck] ThunderBlade for my custom Cabronita but found the volume lower than my other basses due to pu placement. Decided to go with the hotter bridge ThunderBlade, like those found on the Fender Custom Shop, and now the volume is the equal to my Warmoths. Great tone, very quiet. With the pu placed centered between the neck & bridge there's a bit more punch and clarity, especially when playing over the pu.
    IMG_0982.jpg
    The custom Cabronita from a recent mix: Jeff Henry Why Don't You 9.mp3

The 51/55 w/ SD single stack has a throaty, open, biting tone. Great tone. Still kinda noisy but not a real issue. Sorry, no sound clips.
    P1150295.JPG

Attached Files:

bassdude51, porterbass and petch like this.
  14. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    I love single coil basses, but I don't like the 12th fret of your bass... Stings signature.

bassdude51 likes this.
  15. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    You'll have to learn this for yourself - but I can tell you that I have SERIOUS regrets about selling any instruments I've ever owned. Yeah - I've had a few dogs with fleas, but I've also sold off some instruments that I would LOVE to have back again.

I always rationalized selling off instruments by thinking about the instruments that that I was going to buy. On the other hand, I don't think there is any reason to keep an instrument that you aren't going to play.

So - you're the one who will live with the ramifications of your decision - so consider everything carefully. Good luck!

16. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    If you dont play it, dont keep it

17. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Dude!! :thumbsup:

IMG_0982.jpg

bassdude51 and 2saddleslab like this.
  18. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    petch likes this.
  19. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    I put one (Fralin stacked PU) in my Squier VM. Still sounds like a P bass but with a bit more growl

20. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Perfect! @2saddleslab , I knew calling in The Expert would help here! Plus, it gives us a chance to see and hear those gorgeous basses of yours. drool

2saddleslab likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021