1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You guessed it... another "keep or sell" (50's Sting Sig.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtrom, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Keep it you silly boy!

92 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Sell it ya' goof!

56 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I don't give a care!

30 vote(s)
    18.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Also, reach out to @2saddleslab here who has TV Jones in several basses with this body style if you want additional good info. I know one of his basses is a Cabronita with the upgraded TV Jones and I'm not sure if the others are Cabronitas that had that pickup shape to begin with or he routed for that pickup in a 51-56 body shape.

2. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Damn, that looks fine!

Is it yours? I would love to hear some demos with the pickup in that spot. Not many out there with just the 1 pickups but a few with both bridge and neck.

Edit: thanks for the tip! I'll ask :)

3. porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    That's not mine, but in my post above yours here, I recommended a TB'r (@2saddleslab) to contact regarding the TV Jones. The TV Jones seems to be getting popular in Fender basses with the Cabronita line (although Fender uses their own version in the regular Cabronitas), and the Custom Shop has several models going now with the TV Jones.

Here's my Fender Custom Shop P with the dual SD '51 Stack pickups:
    IMG_6032-33.jpg
    IMG_6027-33.jpg

Bass V and jtrom like this.
  4. porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    I just remembered something I had seen recently on the TV Jones pickups in the Fender Cabronita and Custom Shop basses. Here's a video with someone from the Fender Customer Shop discussing the Proto P model with the TV Jones. There's a spot where he discusses optimal pickup location for the TV Jones on this body style. I believe the existing pickup position on the Sting is closer to the neck. I only mention this to steer you to do a bit more research prior to heading down that path so you don't have it routed for the TV Jones and it ends up being mud when closer to the neck.

Also, I listened to that recording that you posted. That bass sounds thin, but I'm not sure how it was recorded or what type of strings he has on it. It sounded twangy to me. My SD '51 Stack pickup sounds nothing like that. Oh, and I'm using TI Jazz Flats on that bass. You should look up some video demos of the Fender Custom Shop Dusty Hill P bass to see if you like the tone. It's the same pickup as mine.

Here's the video:

Son of Wobble and jtrom like this.
  5. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Hey thanks for the link! That’s awesome info. Man, I have a Gibson grabber... my mind is addicted to making things difficult and is frantically trying to figure out how to install a movable TVJ haha

porterbass likes this.
  6. As others have suggested, I went with the Fralin split single coil, new pots and Sozo mustard cap. and running Chromes flats. Definitely a tune up that makes me smile every time i dig into it.

jtrom and wmmj like this.
  7. For me, feel is more important than tone, within reasonable limits of course. While I can change pickups / strings / amp settings etc. to dial in a tone, feel is a much more difficult characteristic to correct. If I find a bass that feels right, I’ll make it sound it right. YMMV.

porterbass, retslock and CTBassGuy like this.
  8. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Ya that’s true. I don’t have a bass that feels 100% correct to me haha.

9. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    So I’ll definitely have to check out the Lindy Fralin split single coil and perhaps the SD Quarter Pounder. I think there’s a modern version of that pup

10. How does the bass sound acoustically?

(Put your ear up to the back of the body and play some notes. Put your ear to the back of the neck and play a few more.)

chadds likes this.
  11. Love the sound of that Thunderbucker 66.

40Hz likes this.
  12. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    10 years and you couldnt get pickups for it to sound right..?..also..I dont think my closet is 20 years old..

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    You love it so much it sat in a closet for 10 years? You love it so much you hate the sound? "Sentiment has me by the ****!" It certainly does!

I'd say stop being sentimental, sell this thing and buy the bass that you want to play every day.

fermata likes this.
  14. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I had one of these years ago and liked it a lot EXCEPT for the stock pickup, which I changed out right away. Problem is, I can’t remember what I replaced it with. Anyway, it sounded fine to me afterwards.

That said, if it’s not giving you what you want, sell it.

15. I had a Rick I bought in the 70s that from the mid 70s until 2008 sat in my closet as it didn’t have the right voice for the music I play. I should have sold it decades earlier.

16. May be it’s a capacitor issue or pot failure and not a pick-up issue.

17. ArteK

ArteK Supporting Member

I had one of these for a while, but the thin single-coil pickup sound is not for me. (I'm also not terribly crazy about the colors in the two-tone sunburst finish, although the vintage tint on the neck is gorgeous.) I sold it after having it for a few years (but always opting to take other basses to gigs).

However, they have the nicest playing Precision-width necks that Fender makes (IMO). So, about ten years later I felt like giving it another shot and picked another one up. Comparing them to my regular Precision (with the usual split-P pickup), I realized just how thin a sound those really have (especially on the low E and A strings). I never tried the hum bucking (two a side) version of that pickup. Maybe it's thicker, but I'm skeptical.

So I sold that one too, realizing that it's not a good bass for me. Because I bought them used, both kept their resale value pretty well.

It's too bad the necks are square-heeled, because I'd slap that neck onto a regular Precision bass and would probably be really happy with it. Since lots of people like the basses as is, I'm not too big on routing them to put another pickup in (although you might be able to combine the Mike Dirnt version to get what I'm talking about, since it's also a square heeled neck).

18. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    That's funny, I guessed "If two trains leave New York and Chicago at 10 am, and the NY train travels at 60 mph while the Chicago train travels at 75 mph, what is the capital of the Chase Manhattan Bank." Not my lucky day, apparently.

19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Custom Shop 'Proto' Precision With TV Jones Thunderblade Pickup
    ProtoP.jpg

20. It would be impossible for me to give you an honest appraisal without hearing the actual bass live through my rig A/B style. Good luck finding what you hear in your head.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021