1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You guessed it... another "keep or sell" (50's Sting Sig.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtrom, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Keep it you silly boy!

92 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Sell it ya' goof!

56 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I don't give a care!

30 vote(s)
    18.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I say sell/trade it for something you are happy with rather than cutting it up for a new pickup that you still may or may not like. It'll be easy to find a similar look and feel: it's essentially a sunburst P bass...but it's also a distinctive bass because of the pickup, and someone else will want it in it's current form. Don't try to make it something it's not, just move on.

waynobass, jtrom and EdO. like this.
  2. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    I voted sell. You dont like the way it sounds. You don't play it.

I sold my first "real" bass last year- it was hard- lots of emotion and fond memories tied to that bass. BUT, like you, I got to the point where I knew what tone I wanted and the bass didn't have it. At all. Not even close. I do not regret selling it.

Hope whatever you choose brings peace of mind.

fermata likes this.
  3. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    I guarantee that this is exactly what will get you a sound you will be happy with. It would be a real shame if you sell this bass without trying that. Seriously.

jtrom likes this.
  4. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    I was also thinking about the fralin split ‘51 which supposedly sounds a lot more like the split coil p bass pickup. This is an easy and reversible modification.

However, a tv Jones in there would be awesome (just no going back, not that you’d want to).

TN WOODMAN and jtrom like this.
  5. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Well, since you say you love the 'look and the feel' of it, and only if you have exhausted your options to let it develop the sound that matches, I would say it is time to move on … I think you will be pleasantly surprised of its value, especially if you 'played it for several years, and now it has sat in the closet for ten years', you likely purchased back around introduction time ('04?) for about $3-400 … they are listing and I have seen them move in the $1K range … I had a few and never really felt attached to them, but I wished I held onto and sold in this market … I was buying & selling them used in the $300 range way back ...

6. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Ya I emailed him the a few months ago and he basically said that they don't do returns or anything like that and I would be best just selling the pickup privately. So there's that option too

7. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Ya I can't quite remember what I bought it for but it was definitely around that time. Other than sentiment I have no real reason to keep it. And there are other basses I would like buy... I am very attracted to "fix'er up'ers". Unfortunately haha. I think I should probably sell and save up to buy a real nice custom job that does all my day to day needs. I have a 70's gibson grabber (my favorite) action is too high. A late 70's harmony P bass, very heavy and high action... sounds amazing. And a Fender California Special P/J which is just fine.. no issues but not a "wow" bass. needs a decent set up too.

8. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Ya I've had the bass for about 14 years and in that time have tried every over the counter string haha. I like flats on it the most.

twinjet likes this.
  9. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Nice, that's good to hear. I just see 85 year old me with my future cyborg grandchildren saying, "this was my first bass I bought with my paper route money! Now, a paper route is ... "

CTBassGuy likes this.
  10. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones
    If you're willing to route the bass, maybe try a G&L MFD!

I saw another TB'er who did that and I imagine it would sound massive!

11. I have a ‘56 Warmoth build with the Fralin Split ‘51 strung with GHS Pressurewounds and love the tone through my MB Berlin Combo and NY151 cab. Just sayin’.

jtrom and Eric ER like this.
  12. Tom Baker

Tom Baker

Feb 3, 2016
    Austin, TX
    jtrom likes this.
  13. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Does it sound anything like this? Cause this is basically what my Lollar sounds like

basscapes, G19Tony and retslock like this.
  14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Find a Squier CV50P's pickup and give it a try with set of broken in DR legend.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  15. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    I would keep it for simply that reason.

G19Tony likes this.
  16. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    Having gone through a 51 obsessive phase on and off for the last 15 years, I get what you are saying. I have had stacked coils, split coils, 45 degree split coils, 1/4" slug stacked coil, etc. etc. The closest you will get with one of these pickups is to get a 10% overwound Lindy fralin split coil, this will give you the fattest midrange, good bass, and slightly muted treble of a p-bass pickup. BUT, I am also in the camp that suggested getting a thunder blade for it, I would not get a thunder bucker because they don't sound anything like a p-bass. I have the thunder blade I just have not gotten around to doing the mod, since I am busy with life. But that is going to be my next project. Let us know what you decide.

I had a sting that I cut up beyond its usable point,.....but it was a great bass, should have left well enough alone. I was in an experimental phase. Anyway, good luck with your decision making.

jtrom likes this.
  17. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    ^^^This. I have a pair of the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '51 stack pickups in my Fender CS P. Same pickup that is in the Fender CS Dusty Hill P. Good tonal range and can get very thumpy. I've also heard good things about the Fralin replacement, but I've also heard good about the Lollar which leads me to the strings below. Check the dimensions and info prior to ordering. A search here for replacement pickups for the Sting P bass will give you good info. If I recall, some of them don't drop in without a mod. Oh, and a bonus with these is there is no hum because of their design.

Strings - I have only read half of this thread at this point, but what strings do you have on it? If you want thump then you need to go with flats, some thumpier than others.

Body Rout for new pickup type - I wouldn't do a standard precision pickup in this. No reason. The one pickup that I think is so cool in the 51-56 body style is the TV Jones as others have mentioned here. Looks great and is highly regarded. Plenty of videos/demos online for those so you can hear it.

Oh, and I vote keep it....that's a great bass and it has a lot of sentimental value to you. Once you replace the pickup and look into the strings, you'll have a big smile on your face when playing it.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  18. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    Thanks for the tip! I have a Lollar in there and judging by the sound demos of the Lindy they have a very similar sound, which I happen not to be interested in. I'll check out some more TV Jones demos... It will require a bit of a mod but nothing too crazy.

I think I'll keep it for sentimental reasons... there IS a local luthier who makes a 51 replacement pickup and he swears that it sounds like a pumpin' thick pup. So when I have a little more cash to experiment with I might do that.

I currently have flats on it and it kinda helps. Check out the video I posted of the Lindy Fralin... that's what it sounds like and that's not what I'm into. :)

CTBassGuy and Groove Doctor like this.
  19. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Most Compressors will thicken up your sound. I would give that a try. I have a couple that I always use with different basses. Flats and an MXR-M87 are a great combo.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  20. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Just ignore the pickguard. This is sweet! drool

R74710.jpg
    R74710C.jpg

petch, wmmj and jtrom like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021