1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You guessed it... another "keep or sell" (50's Sting Sig.)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtrom, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Keep it you silly boy!

92 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Sell it ya' goof!

56 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I don't give a care!

30 vote(s)
    18.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    4 plus an upright ;)

2. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    His name is Dave Reimer, lives in Vancouver

Bass V likes this.
  3. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    For the record of those asking, I have 2 p basses in my arsenal. A late 70’s Harmony bass and a Fender California Special P/J. Both have Bill Lawrence pups. I also have a Gibson Grabber and the Sting Bass. All get equal time I would say except the Sting

4. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    @2saddleslab thanks for sharing! amazing looking basses. And a really nice mix for those tunes.

I think I'm leaning towards the keep. When I get some more expendable income I'll pup shop a bit and check a couple things out. Love the idea of the TV Jones and people have been talking a lot about the Fralin Split so I'll have to check that out too!

TN WOODMAN, 2saddleslab and CTBassGuy like this.
  5. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    If you like the sound of the pickup in the Shortbass here, you might want to try to try a Lace Gold Sensor strat pickup. I understand that is what Scott uses on his basses.

jtrom likes this.
  6. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    that sounds really cool too!

7. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I own the fretless he used in the demo. I like it so much that I had him make me a fretted one, and it has left my MIJ Mustang "on the shelf".

jtrom likes this.
  8. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    A bunch of pages here and I'm not going to read through. So, if I repeat, excuse me.

Try the Seymour Duncan Dusty Hill stacked humbucker for your Sting Bass. It's supposed to sound like a standard Fender P Bass. Duncan also makes a Stinger pickup. Built for Sting. Once again, a stacked humbucker. Big sound in a little package.

You'll have to call Duncan to get the Dusty Hill.

There's a Stinger on eBay right now. A bit pricey but cheaper than buying a different bass.

Keep your Sting Bass. There are MANY pickup options by various pickup builders and you SHOULD be able to get a sound that you'll like.

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Stinger STK-SCPB '51 Fender P Bass Stack | eBay

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I have a 61 year old bass in a closet of questionable vintage. Not my main player, but my first, bought in early 1970's. It gets a little play time when I'm going out to sit in with friends for a half hour and don't want to drag the big ABG. Sentiment is certainly a factor on keeping it, but it also sounds good. I also have some sentimental feelings for a bass I helped build in 1981. It's a lovely instrument, sounds good, but it has frets and never gets played. The sentiment is wearing thin on this one, and letting it go is not too far in the future.

I think if you don't like the sound, and you don't play it, it's time to let someone else enjoy it.

JimB52 likes this.
  10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Far from being an expert, more like I just help myself from tinkering. Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks! Yep, best to give it some time and figure out the best solution. Less chance of regret later on.

TN WOODMAN and porterbass like this.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Sell it I had one and liked it but didn't survive my last bass purge.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you don't like the way the bass sounds, don't start hacking it up and swapping pickups. Sell it and move on.

If this were a $100 used Bronco, I'd encourage you to experiment. It's not, and I don't.

TN WOODMAN, wmhill and jtrom like this.
  13. J Dykman

J Dykman

Feb 9, 2018
    Sell it to me sounds like a great plan!

14. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I been doing that a lot lately and it feels really good.

15. Not familiar with a stacked Fralin ‘51. The one I have is a single coil footprint but actually 2 separate side by side coils wound reverse polarity to cancel hum. Basically 2 smaller coils displacing same area as a traditional single coil. A little different approach than stacking 2 coils like other winders but maintains the classic look of a single coil. Sounds great. Mine is standard wind but you can request under or over wound.

16. Tom Baker

Tom Baker

Feb 3, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Geez...want.

macmanlou likes this.
  17. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    They are worth the wait. Scott may have finally cured my GAS for basses.

Shortbass

18. aikibass

aikibass

Feb 5, 2009
    You like the feel, but not the sound, and it's not really a collector's bass (they made and sold more than a few of them) - so...get your router out and add some pickups and a pre-amp!

19. Thinking today of your situation and here are my thoughts. My 1st bass was a jazz but after I have owned a variety . If I had one bass it would be a ‘57 style p bass. (Good example MIM Classic 50s). My most recent (#15) is the Warmoth ‘56 style with the Fralin Split ‘51.

My collection is pretty evenly divided between p , j, pj styles and the ‘51. (Plus EBO and Rivoli short scales) I like having an assortment of flavors at my disposal. I wish I hadn’t traded away some of my earlier instruments. The Sting may not be your dream tone but it was your 1st. My ‘56 is my newest and I am probably still honeymooning a bit but I’ve always wanted to add that flavor to the mix. I love the sound and playability of this bass with GHS pressurewounds.

In closing, an early style p would prob not be my 1st choice in having only one bass but it has it’s place. If you plan on having even a modest assortment of basses, (and as your 1st) I would keep this one. I highly recommend the Fralin Split ‘51 , (other direct drop in choices exist as well) and personally wouldn’t modify this bass by routing, in case you had to sell at some point, these are desirable basses. (Stock or reversible mods)

20. I'm pretty sure Nordstrand makes a side by side humbucker 51 pickup. That should get closer. However, the placement of the pickup has a lot to do with the sound of a 50's style p bass. I have a refinned 53 p that for the most part sits in it's case. I usually only break it out when I want to do some rockabilly. Even then, my jazz sounds better, but it still has that 50's mojo.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021