1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You guys are gonna hate me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DaDrew2112, Jan 17, 2012.

1. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    I want to start a project, but I'm not sure whether I want to play bass or guitar. I have a singer, and he attempts guitar but he just started and is "too cheap" to get a teacher, which boggles my mind but alas, i digress. Anyway, there's no question that I'm a better bassist than i am guitarist. But I sort of am toying with the guitar role because I'm trying to write songs and whatnot. I come up with cool riffs on bass and guitar which are the source of my writing (think like 2005 arctic monkeys, queens of the stone age, and weezer in a blender). I don't know, I can't get up the gumption to truly decide and dedicate to one. Being a bassist is what i do best, and i've heard guitarists are easier to get. On the other hand, I can really stretch my melodic abilities as a guitar player and play a parts of music i never before. I'm only a senior in high school so i figure if i screw the pooch at least i have time to get another thing going. Thoughts anyone?

2. Why would we hate you for wanting to branch out and do something new??
    I say if you want to play guitar, more power to ya!

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    keep up your bass chops and develop your guitar skills. That dot at the end of the sentence is a PERIOD!

Good luck and happy playing.

4. Why must it be a choice? I play both and a few other things besides.

5. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    I understand that and agree, but I'm talking about an actual project. I think people find it weird when someone in a live project switches guitar and bass lol. Also, I need some major work on guitar in order to make a good player for this band as I have never really learned anything on guitar before. I don't mean to chuck the bass, just put it on the back burner for this project so I can be the best i can be for it. I do have some skills in guitar so it's not quite square one, but it's close lol. But is it worth the effort or should i stick to bass as it's what i know better

6. Why not pull a Steve Harris and write the guitar parts but still play bass? No reason you can't come up with guitar riffs and still play bass.

7. BassPenguin22

BassPenguin22

Jun 5, 2010
    Get a rick 4080 and play both live :)

8. Still don't see it as an issue. Projects come and projects go, and you need to do different things to grow. Part of that might be doing different instruments in different projects.

Plus as you start to write and explore multitracking, you have to play both. Also depending on musical style probably some drum sequencing and maybe keys or other stuff.

And some time on guitar will deepen your understanding of song structure and make you a better bassist if you come back to that.

Of course you have to budget your time. If you want to be solid on two instruments it takes more practice. But your comments tell me you get that.

9. Hi.

Well, You can be a bassplayer, guitarist, drummer, keyboardist, hell, You can even be a triangelist (;)) if you wish, but you can also be a musician and play multiple instruments (simultaneously even if You want to be The One Man Band :)).

I'm not ashamed to be what people could call a "failed guitarist", who cares?

Regards
    Sam

10. Nothing wrong with being a multi-instrumentalist.
    Go for it!! :bassist:

11. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Knowing how to play other instruments will only help. Go for it.

12. Play what makes you happy... a lot of people switch instruments and it doesn't make you any less of a man, even though we all know bass is where it's at lol. Besides being a guitarist will get you more chicks, especially if you sing too. At your age this is VERY important.

13. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    In the new world order there will only be bass players. All others will be summarily executed. Choose wisely my friend!

14. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    My German friend always says... (German accent) Don't think about it, just do it.