You Like Your Upright, You Like Your Strings, So You Upgrade Your...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sixpants, Dec 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sixpants

sixpants

Dec 15, 2015
    Northeast Ohio
    None
    Assuming you're satisfied with your instrument and strings, but you still have an itch to upgrade something, what would you do to:

1. Improve the aesthetics
    2. Improve the tone.
    3. Improve the play-ability
    4. Make life easier
    5. Whatever I missed...

I think my $60 is probably lacking, but I have $10 technique so right now it doesn't inhibit me.

I like Edgar Myers' dot marks on his fingerboard. I'd do that even though I don't use markers.

The tuning hardware on the SB-88 seems like it would benefit from an upgrade, as would the end pin.

2. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    I need to get bass bumpers (URBBob Link) and a new rosin cake. That's about all I can think of besides a new bow for myself - if you have a new bass I wouldn't upgrade anything for a year or so. Just play it.

salcott likes this.
  3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I got a beautiful german carved bass that sings with Spirocores. Other than probably switching to the weich sometime soon I'll probably just get my bow rehaired and maybe if I get serious about arco a new bow.

4. I like Shen basses, but the machines leave something to be desired, so a set of Rubners installed by a good luthier would be a solid upgrade for you.

However, as is usually the case, if you're relatively satisfied with your equipment but want to spend money anyway, spend money on lessons.

DrayMiles, DC Bass, seang15 and 2 others like this.
  5. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    practice arco

6. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    For a double whammy, record yourself practicing arco so you can always go back and enjoy the massacre of sound!

That will quickly squelch any desire beyond learning to play your instrument. :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Endpin replacement can reap huge benefits, especially if the OEM one is giving you any issues. I ended up with a very unique endpin situation that I just love, which is a set endpin made out of Oak, which my brother in law made on his lathe. I swear it improves the tone over a steel endpin. You can find those for about that price.

8. Vertigo Jones

Vertigo Jones

Jun 13, 2013
    ...upgrade your skills!

9. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

My answer: IF you are married, take your wife out to dinner. That will certainly help with #4 above. (Points toward upgrading your relationship).

10. neddyrow

neddyrow @TeddyPlaysBass - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    gotta have a pick-up/mic and an amp!

then an fDeck, then....

it goes forever!

11. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    I recently played a very, very good bow, now I want one......and a pony.

bassmastan and misterbadger like this.
  12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    If you're satisfied with your instrument and strings and if you gotta spend money on something, then arrange a private lesson with a fine teacher. Goes to Vertigo's "upgrade your skills."

13. Thanks for telling us what strings you have.... so what strings do you have?

14. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm pretty happy with all of the above, but I could use a better vehicle to carry it all to gigs in. :bag:

Jake deVilliers likes this.
  15. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

and after the pony, maybe a Porsche Cayenne? (The 911 is too small to carry a double bass).

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  16. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    now you're talkin'! :hyper:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    My late father always told me, "If it ain't broke, fix it."

PaperbackRyder likes this.
  18. sixpants

sixpants

Dec 15, 2015
    Northeast Ohio
    None
    Wow... you're onto more than you realize. My wife hasn't been terribly pleased that I'm a gigging musician these days - a whopping 4 gigs/practices total a month (funny since I'm a teacher and home WAYYYYYY more than everyone else's husbands are.)

But I digress... dinner... yes. Yes.

iamthebassplayr likes this.
  19. It's never enough to be happy with her; you must also be miserable everywhere without her!!

biddybumbum and PaperbackRyder like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021