1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You never know about an audition

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lfmn16, Dec 4, 2019.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I went on an audition last night for a singer that has a couple of CDs out and has won some pretty prestigious awards. Country/blues/rock and roll, mix of originals and covers. I was auditioning for the guitar spot and although it was a stretch, I'm trying to get to the next level so I thought I'd go for it. I almost didn't audition after listening to the CDs and live shows on Youtube, I thought they were too far out of my league, but as my brother says, "Asking is free."

I had to take my brother to the hospital for some tests in the afternoon (he's fine) and wrestled with rush hour to get home in time to run over some of the trouble spots and try to relax before the audition. As usual life got in the way so I wasn't able to chill, I forgot the directions (which fortunately I had put in my iPhone), forgot my notes and forgot the list of tunes. Way to make a good first impression ... NOT.

I got to the audition still a bit flustered, got set up and when I took a few seconds to warm up it felt like my left hand had glue on it. Sticky fingers, and not the good Rolling Stones kind. I got through 3 or 4 tunes and I kept thinking they'd say, "Thanks for coming by, we'll give you a call" but they kept asking what else I'd learned. I'd give myself a solid D+ for my playing. :vomit:

So I played everything I knew, I thanked them for their time and the opportunity to play with them, we exchanged a few pleasantries and I was told they'd be in touch. I came home and told my wife that the good news was that I didn't have to figure out how to juggle another band, that I'd stunk the joint up.

I wake up this morning to a very nice email asking me if I'd like to join the band. :wideyed:

All I can say is that if they liked that playing, they'll love me when I'm on. I'm usually pretty good at reading a room, but I missed that one by a mile.

2. Congrats! I'm sure they could tell that you knew what you were doing. I always feel a bit more "put on the spot" with guitar or drums than bass. Idk if it is because I'm primarily a bass player and more comfortable or musicians tend to notice drums/guitar nuances more. Maybe it's just me :meh:

Good luck with it! :thumbsup:

barrenelly, Mr_Moo and lfmn16 like this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats. The only way the outcome could been more amazing is if you had included: "So I pulled my 'Hello Kitty' Strat out of its gig bag and..." ;)

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    That’s awesome. Congratulations.

barrenelly and lfmn16 like this.
  5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Yea, you rush out the door and grab your kid's guitar by mistake.

homer simpson doh.jpg

6. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

Cool beans! I hope it works out well for you!

Heh. I have the "Hello Kitty" Badtz Maru Bronco bass, and play it publicly. Often.

barrenelly, Mr_Moo, design and 7 others like this.
  7. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Congrats. Ya' know you probably weren't as audibly bad as you what was going on in your own head. I've had gigs where I thought I was terrible, dwelling on a mistake here and there that I thought I shouldn't be making....and turned around to hear compliments from other people just the same. Even apologized to band mates and had them say stuff like, "I didn't hear anything".

I'm betting that you were better than you think.

8. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    very cool, @lfmn16 ! Remember, we are always our own harshest critics. I'm sure you played much better than you're self-graded D+ merited. Best of luck with the new endeavor!

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Great story. Congrats!

10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    great story.

so, have you decided whether to join the band?

11. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Great story, congrats...traitor!!!

12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Focus on the good stuff you do not the mistakes...

Timmy Liam and lfmn16 like this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    the dark side.jpg

Mr_Moo, BurnOut, kobass and 2 others like this.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks.

Yes, I'm definitely joining. Need to figure out how that affects the projects I'm in. Something will have to go.

Mr_Moo, LBS-bass and pcake like this.
  15. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Yea and when you come in really prepared and shred the neck like Joe Satriani on every song you'll get fired... : )

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  16. When you play well, it’ll be “No man, do it like at the audition.”

17. donkeygrl

donkeygrl

Aug 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Woot!! Congrats!!! :thumbsup::bassist::hyper:

Jimmy4string and lfmn16 like this.
  18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Not much danger of me shredding like Satriani. :D

Mr_Moo, Artman, mmon77 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Talent, knowledge and competency will show through even when everything else is wrong. Congratulations!

John

barrenelly, Mr_Moo, bmac314 and 2 others like this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Congratulations. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Glad this one worked out so well. :)

There’s a saying that goes: You don’t rise to the occasion - you default to your level of training. I’d guess you’ve upped your game to the point where your default playing remains at the pro level. Even when you’re having an off moment.

That's a really good place to be. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019