you will call me a liar...Dean fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roosterbike, Aug 30, 2009.

1. roosterbike

roosterbike

Aug 24, 2009
    Western NC
    ok today at a local flea market, thru some very smooth talking and trading of what nots....i aquired a Dean Rhapsody fretless 4 string ....
    Beautiful condition...how much do you ask? an unbelievable 20.00 (twenty) dollars.....if i hadnt done it id say i was lying too....im still in shock and scored hugh brownie points with my wife.....
    Heres the deal, ive never had or played a fretless before....
    The E and A are fine, but D and G are very "buzzy"....is this normal? i adjusted the neck and its a little better....it has standard strings on it....any suggestions?

2. sleigh93

sleigh93

May 25, 2008
    This is relevant to my interests...

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I will not call you a liar. :p

I may be stating the obvious, but could it be that the bridge saddles for the D and G strings are set too low? Maybe the nut was filed too deep? You can also check the relief on both sides of the neck and sight down it to see if it's twisted, has a "hump" or something similar.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Buzzing on open strings could be the nut, or the relief, or the saddles. If the buzz only happens when you stop the strings, it AIN'T the nut. Do a correct set up which means staring with a good analysis of the whole thing, But start with getting the relief correct before you do anything else. If you don't know how, go to the hardware, repair, set-up forum of TB and read the stickies.

John

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    No pics no bass. Dems the rules.

I would also just take the bass in to get it adjusted and set up. You'll enjoy that $20 bass even more.

6. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    A buddy of mine acquired a Dean fretless 5er at a garage sale for $50 last year.
    Plays nice! Two octave neck!!

What's with ppl giving these things away?
    The build quality seems just fine.

7. roosterbike

roosterbike

Aug 24, 2009
    Western NC
    No, its not the open string, its the "fretted" notes.....or is that just part of the fretless sound, ive neve played one till now

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I like my fretless basses with almost no relief at all. So, do a proper set up, starting with setting the relief, then the saddles. How much relief is pretty personal, but almost straight gives me the the "mwha" sound at my command, depending on how hard I press the strings to the fingerboard.

John

9. so what are the "standard strings" that are mounted? do you mean roundwounds, which would be a sin on a fretless, or flatwounds? try a nice set of thomastik infelds (jazz flats) and see what happens to the buzz. of course this will only be a partial solution if you have the buzz only on two strings, but worth trying.

10. roosterbike

roosterbike

Aug 24, 2009
    Western NC
    The standard strings are just that, plain old cheapies.....the previous owner had them on here.....it does have a little buzz on all 4 strings i just noticed it more on the d and g...
    Neck has very little releif and does need a intonation set up badly, so i guess im off to the shop...

11. I had a f-less way back in the day,so,I'm definitely no authority on them.But,I have read that some players like a lil' string buzz on their f-less.As it seems to bring out the f-less characteristics(mmmwhaa!) more.

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    :confused:I guess that means I am a sinner, then.

13. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Ask yourself:

...what would Jaco do?

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021