Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your band name...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chips, Sep 20, 2005.

1. So... after seeing all these "help me pick a band name" threads, i thought it would be interesting to hear YOUR band names for those who are in bands.

i'll start... my old band

Jow Vega (Jow Vay-gah) :bassist:

btw.. it has absolutely no meaning

Peace
    Chips :ninja:

2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    A couple I've been in:

Insect Affect (1985-1988) An art-rock/funk theatrical band, very wild and unpredictable, sort of like 80's King Crimson meets Zappa and absurdist theatre.

Take This Bus To Cuba (1993-1994) An original fusion band I had once.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Cyberdyne - progressive/industrial metal (2001-2003). Was never quite happy with this name for some reason.

Fighting Blind - mediocre 80's style metal (2004). I didnt come up with this name, but at least I wasnt mildly emberassed by it. (the real problem was the music).

Left Brain - progressive-alternative. I recently joined this one.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Johnnie Gingivitis and the Nasty Teeth I was one of the "teeth".

No, really....

* High school: "Celler Dwellers"
    * Late 80s/early 90s Butt Rock: "GIMMIX" Listen to a sample of GIMMIX! - Recorded on 2" tape on a Studer 24 track machine - nice stuff! That's me on keys, too!
    * 80s rock "Loyal Opposition"
    * 90s radio "alternative" rock:"GUM" Listen to a sample. of GUM!

* Current classic rock / country flavored bar rock: "Not Dead Yet". No samples yet, sorry. A very common name used by many other bands. We really should come up with something more original.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Right below here​

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've been in a few.

Fuzzy Logic
    Some Ugly Dudes
    Pinche' Bolillos
    Entirely Random(my current band)
    Nothing Yet
    Cause & Defect

and others...What can I say? I've been in several bands and some changed their name often.

There was a thread about this called something like 'Coolest and Dumbest Band Names You've Played Under' or some variation of that.

7. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Current band - toomuchsausage.

8. Bassmonk3y

Bassmonk3y

Sep 19, 2005
    Tacoma, Wa
    the bands that I have played with seriously until now go as follows.

Whitelight (experimental/psychedelic ambient rock,was based in Malaysia)

Ernest Goes to Video (similair genre, with slightly more indy influence, was based in Olympia, Wa.)

The PropaGodz (a cerebral hip-hop group from Tacoma, Wa, currently active)

and my main current band, Redefina,(means: 'To Redefine' in spanish) which does prog/thrash/death metal, also based in Tacoma, Wa.

hehe, I think Ernest goes to video was an awesome name...for some reason though, people tended not to take us seriously until they heard us. :p

9. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Endtime Quartet
    Lacuna Beach Trio
    Avant Garden
    New X Art Ensemble

10. See below.

(I didn't help pick that one you know, I'm just along for the ride, but it sure is different :D )

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

LOL !!!

that's kinda like " The Swingin' Richards " ... :D

12. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Both Hard Rock bands.

Abnormal Sensation - Hard Rock(Tool, Deftones).
    -Ironic because it was the most generic band I could find, therefore nothing being ironic and not "abnormal" and hardly a sensation. Twas my first real band so it was fun.

Dark Sonata - Metal/Hard Rock/Progressive(Metallica, Pantera, Dream Theater)
    -Current Band. Singer from old band. think maynard of Tool. Trying out drummers still. Should be very good. Ton's of talent all around.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Back in the 80s (when I actually played for others!) I was in two bands. One was called Major Minor and the other was called... Crap I don't remember anymore. :crying: But we helped burn a taxicab :smug:

14. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Jetpack Black. I Swear it sounded cool when we came up with it.

15. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Opaque...

yeah, now you all know where my sn comes from :)

Been playing with the band for probably 5 years. We're currently on a hiatus so everyone can finish high school. We thought things were moving too fast; and getting an education is the #1 priority right now.

Other than that, there was a band called "half of nothing," and I ran a little stint with a band called "bible shaking preachers" for a little while. None of us were preachers, so it didn't make much sense. Both of those lasted a few months tops. I couldn't take it anymore, the guitarists sucked and I didn't want to put in the effort.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Slick Dick Willie and the Sloppy Seconds
    After Dinner Mint
    Death Leprechaun
    Charred Cubscouts

All were joke bands that never made it out of the jam room.

BET123 was the last band I was in. I think the name sucked.

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    First band was a thrash metal band called THC (The Hoodlum Crew) but we had to change the name for a HS gig so it became Tyrant Dread (1990-1994).

Since then:
    The Dirt Beneath - some sort of emo-metal band :rollno: that I was asked to join only to later be considered "too old" for them. :scowl:

Drunk On Mondays - current band and I have been with them about two years. Original punk sort of like the Ramones.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Lucid Dreamer - Original praise rock. Guitarist stole the name from a closed down drive in movie years ago.

Vinny and the Jets - A takeoff on the Elton John song. 50's, 60's and 70's rock.

Backflash - My first band, back in the mid eighties. Melodic metal.