1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your EQ settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Just wondering what types of EQ settings you use. I have a Hartke amp with 7 band eq and wanted to see what styles of music you're playing with what settings..

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    It really depends on your bass, your playing style, the kind of music you play and other factors. But if you're playing in a rock ensemble you're probably going to want to boost something in the midrange in order to be heard well. It's not uncommon for bassists in these kind of scenarios to cut Bass and Treble while boosting Mids. This is especially helpful if you're struggling with a bass amp that's not quite as loud as you'd like. EQ it the right way and, bang, you can hear yourself without turning up any louder.

Playing reggae or dubstep would be totally different, mind you. But it probably might apply for metal and some other harder genres.

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    I start off with my bass knob turned almost all the way off, then I tweak my mids, treble, and gain to fit with the current musical situation I'm in, and then I roll the bass back up to taste.

4. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    They're mine and you're not having them.

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    [​IMG]

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I already do have them. And I have mine too. I have two different tones to use now.

7. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Aww, jeez. So what am I supposed to do for tone now?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Scanners...rock!

What everyone's trying to say is that eq settings don't transfer to different amps like that. Every amp is different and has its own idea of what sounds good, so they accentuate that. On one amp I may run the bass at noon, on another I may run it at 2:00, or 11:00...all depends on the gig, the bass and the sound requirements of the room.

9. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Can't we play just a bit longer? Dad?

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Do what everyone else does here...complain about not having any.

11. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

It really depends on your amp.

I run my lows at 2-3, mids at 10, and my highs at 2. But that's because this is close to "flat" on my amp. When playing metal, I use the graphic to boost the mids up a bit more.

But that's not going to translate onto a different amp quite as well, I'm guessing.

12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i like to start as flat as possible, then adjust to the room. though every room is different, i want them all to tremble equally. in other words, i want to stimulate the audience's peristalsis! YMMV

13. Sumtingwong

Sumtingwong

Nov 25, 2011
    Central Pa
    Bass is twice as sensitive to differing room environments than say- Guitars or vocals. I know guitarists (decent, but not great guitarists) who set their tone and pretty much leave it alone, regardless of room and stage size.

I've never had to do much with my old SWR 2x12 combo, but I always had to tweak something, usually ganky mids or the low end. Low end can be enormous but clean in one room and stoopid boomy and overwhelming in the next. It's those rooms you have to fight the kick drum and floor tom rumble coming off the mains as well.

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Sounds like you are using the same head as me. :p

I boost low mids, cut the lowest lows and the highest highs (somewhere around 6k on this head), run gain/master to taste in terms of OD. The rest I can control on my bass and with my fingers (modern metal to hip hop).

15. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

The precursor to your head, actually, but same regular EQ section, though yours might have a slightly more extensive graphic.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I heard you couldn't import tones to Nude Zealand; but maybe customs restrictions have changed.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Its because they call it something different down there in that southern hemisphere faux English they speak and no one can figure out what they're saying when they try to mail order it.

18. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Since Rogernomics (look it up!), we can pretty much import anything; NZ has one of the world's more open economies. We just don't need to import tone; the best damn tone in the world is made right here, as evidenced by BurningSkies' decision to nick mine.

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

There are many extra variables involved (the venue, speakers, the instrument, amp...), but anyway you can see my basic approach to tone here.

20. Unless I'm playing a bass with prominent mids through a cab with prominent mids...I pretty much always boost the mid knob. If the mid knob is parametric, or there are multiple mid knobs, I play with them a bit to get the tone I like.

Treble I leave flat or cut slightly.

What I do with the bass knob is completely dependent on the amp, the room, and the situation I'm playing in. But in general I always do the same thing with the mids and treble regardless.