1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your Favorite Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Lovejoy, Apr 5, 2009.

1. The point of this thread is rather self-explanatory, simply state which necks you like the best and why.

For me, it would have to be the necks off of the entire Warwick and Spector lines. There is just something about those necks that makes me feel like I am holding an extension of my own genitalia... they feel that good in my hands.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The necks on Lakland 55-94/55-02 models are a relatively new favorite of mine. I can't offer a good reason why - they just feel "right". It might be the slight flatness found on the back of the neck, the compound radius, or maybe the worn-in feel of the edges of the fretboard. I also like the big necks on USA Spectors as well as their CZ counterparts. Ironically, I'm a longtime J-Bass and Sadowsky player, but I've never totally loved the necks on them. However, the sound is worth it to me. That said, a lot of players love them to pieces.

My top favorite? The necks on the very first Yamaha TRB series 5 string that had the neck-thru design.

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    '66 Jazz Bass.
    Lakland Joe Osborn
    Lakland 4-94

4. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I like them thin, my favourites are the Yamaha RBX 775's and the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass', that's why I own them, lol. Also love the Ibanez SR series necks.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    My Geddy feels great, perfect in fact.

The one Musicman I played wise nice, but the Warwick neck felt like a baseball bat.

6. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    The neck on my Carvin B4 kit is one of the most comfortable necks I have ever wraped my grubby paws around. Its too bad the bass sounds like crap......

7. WildTrkey

WildTrkey Banned

Mar 1, 2009
    My 80's Schecter jazz. +1 on the Spector necks.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    My all time favorite Necks are the original Ibanez SR5 necks [I don't like the current shape] And old ESP P necks, I have a 80's M-IV neck on my jazz bass and it is one of the most comfy four string necks I've ever used.

9. SS_korn89

SS_korn89

Mar 10, 2004
    Omaha
    I was using a warwick for awhile and loved the neck, but just recently switched to a mexican fender jazz with lighter strings that I had lying around and it just felt like a knife cutting through butter....nice and smooth....;)

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My favorite neck is a vert stiff Allparts P bass all maple neck that I've recarved to a 1-7/16 inch nut width (original J bass size) and profiled to fit my hand with a couple of ergononmic features I'm experimenting with.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    without hesitation... Fred Bolton and Chris Benavente carve the necks that fit best in my hands.

12. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    out of what i've played, i'd say the peavey millenniums. they're cheap, but they're awesome necks. don't own one anymore though.

13. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    Out of all the basses I've tried my choices for favourite neck would be...in no particular order:
    Laklands, Fender Jazz bass and Sadowsky.

But my first choice and the winner for me it's Sadowsky. The neck on my UV70 it's great! There's something about it's neck that makes me play even better! :)... The fiel, the action, the finish... ummm, tasty ;)

14. I absolutely LOVE the neck on my Tobias Killer B. Instead of having a skinny neck like a jazz bass, it is wider at the nut, which I like (close to a P-bass width) and the asymmetrical profile just feels great. Not to mention the pau ferro fingerboard and satin finish that lets my hand glide where it wants to go.... :hyper:

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

1966 Jazz-neck.

Early 60's P-neck.

16. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    By far, the Lakland Daryl Jones 4 String neck.

Simply, perfect to my taste. Very slim at the 1st fret !!! Love that neck !!! Can't find anything that would be more comfortable for me !

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I really like the Mighty Mite p-bass necks. I take their stock p-bass neck and put 5 strings on them. I currently have 7 basses with those necks on them. I have the maple fretboard and the rosewood fretboard versions, both are good. I finish them with tung oil and mineral spirits.

Bass5-0067.

jag0014.

18. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Lakland J.O. 4, Warwick Wenge, John Suhr Classic J, Tobias, F-Bass

19. 4stringman

4stringman

Oct 12, 2008
    Memphis, Tn
    The 80's Peavey Rudy Sarzo basses have an amazing neck on them