1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your favorite stuff from the 80s.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Feb 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Short version: The 80s gets a bad rap. I grew up in the 80s. Did we wear some funny looking stuff? Yep. But was it anymore crazy than tie-tied shirts, tassels, bell bottoms, etc? Nope.

But, man, did we have some fun! The 80s was about fun to me. I loved it. (Sure, everyone looks back on the time period of their childhood as "the best". I'm not saying that. I'm just saying it was pretty great for me.)

OK, so let's have it. Post some of your favorite things about the 80s. Music? Bass gear? Clothing? TV Shows? Songs? Cars? Movies? Comedians? Foods? Have at it!!!! Whatever! (Wait.... "Whatever" was that whole depressing 90s.... thing.....;)) Go nuts!

The more pics the better!

If you're swinging by to say how dumb the 80s were, move along. We're here to have fun. Don't suck. I hate it when people suck. :cool:

I'll swing by and post mine (with pics) later.

2. Even though I had some tough years in the 80s, there were certainly good ones.

I could have tons to contribute, but for now, this is what came to my mind:

This is going to be so rad :D

S-Bigbottom and two fingers like this.
  3. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Class of '83. In the 80's, I hated the 80's! Now, I think I love everything about it. The music is so nostalgic to me and I can't get enough of it. The best comedies ever - any John Hughes movie. MTV!

4. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    TV shows

Star Trek: TNG
    Dance Fever
    Night Music w/David Sanborn
    Tracey Ullman
    Gary Shandling
    Sledge Hammer
    Wonder Years
    A Team
    Magnum PI
    Murphy Brown
    Murder She Wrote
    Alien Nation
    The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd
    Miami Vice
    Newhart
    Police Squad
    Tales From The Dark Side
    The Slap Maxwell Story

10cc, murphy, FRoss6788 and 3 others like this.
  5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Goodbye, Farewell and Amen

wagdog, FRoss6788, JimK and 4 others like this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I didn’t watch much TV in those days, I was too busy gigging, doing sound, and carousing. If anything, the 70’s sucked big time, boring hangover of the 60’s, until da bruddahs from Queens came along, and music got interesting again. There was plenty of forward looking stuff to listen to, I was quite taken with Mute, Factory and 4AD type atmospherics. Had no problem with synthesizers, as long as they were blended in with guitars.

JimK and two fingers like this.
  8. Michedelic

As far as hair is concerned, at least people were creative, instead of the manditory beards, sheeple man/woman buns, and Himmler haircuts we have now. Far more variety then.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I was on a date with a beautiful woman from California, named Karen.

She was wearing an oversized top with leggings, big hair, and a Flashdance decal.

I was wearing jeans, a button down shirt and a leather vest.

She was telling me how "dated" my look was.

That was sweet.

Timmy Liam, FRoss6788 and two fingers like this.
  10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    As someone born in 87, I didn't get to experience the 80s much. However, it's one of the high points of cinema to me, that is, underground cinema. Indie and small studio movies began to take off, with my favorites being the Toxic Avenger, Street Trash, the Nightmare on Elm Street series, Hellraiser 1 and 2, Day of the Dead, Re-Animator, The Evil Dead and the list goes on. The advancements in cosmetics and animatronics coupled with the rise of VHS really made for a great combination. (I still collect VHS to this day but not in a hipster kind of fashion. There's a wholly different aesthetics about it)

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This is a great thread.
    A few come to mind right away. Hacky sacks, ghetto blasters, and the Sony Walkman.

-Mike

12. Michedelic

David Lynch ruled.

13. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Magic v Byrd

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I watched a documentary about that a while back. Fascinating stuff!!!

15. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    80's were a golden age for basketball. Off the top of my head... Showtime, Lakers vs Celtics, Spud beats 'Nique in the slam dunk contest, Jimmy V looking for someone to hug, Nova over Georgetown, the rise of MJ...

You're an NC boy. Who's the only person to hold Jordan under 20 points per game?

GregC, kesslari, two fingers and 2 others like this.
  16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was (& still) a huge MASH fan...who missed that Finale on its original airing.
    Band rehearsal of all things.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nate McMillan?

By the way, it's Bird.
    Remember the Converse Weapon shoe? That commercial with those two was great.

-Mike

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

garp, Winslow, FeltTipPen and 3 others like this.
  19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Dream Team were spectacular...and they were expected to trounce everyone/anyone.
    :)

...and there was this-

Still gives me chills.

dwm74, Ostie, two fingers and 3 others like this.
  20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dune?
    :)