Your Last Gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by J-Fev, Jun 26, 2022.

1. J-Fev

J-Fev Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2021
    Have you ever contemplated that someday you will put your bass down and never pick it up again? That you will never play another note? Is that a phantom of the grey future that you have been unwilling gaze directly at?

I have found my vision fixed on that specter as of late. How do you approach it with grace and courage?

2. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    download.jpg

3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Just because you don't want to gig anymore doesn't mean you have to abandon playing. My band used to do occasional gigs, and is still entirely gig-worthy, but we've chosen to just get together to play every week for the sheer joy of playing. We get to play what we want, however we want, whenever we want. All the fun of playing without all the hassles of playing out. And when we miss playing for an audience, we invite some friends to band nights or host a party.

Oddly, jallenbass, Indexed and 22 others like this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I probably sound like a broken record but, I practice standing up for a few hours a day to stay in shape for gigging. Bass is as much Physical as it is mental. Unless I get stricken with a debilitating disease, I plan to play until I meet my maker. Even then I am hoping for some sort of Bass life-after-death scenario.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Did that just over four years ago. I ended up not playing my last scheduled gig - got the flu and then pneumonia and by the time I recovered I wasn’t much interested. Fortunately my replacement was able to step in for me a few gigs early.

I have yet to put down my instrument. Still composing, recording and producing with a small group of others with no intention to gig.

kentiki, murphy, pcake and 3 others like this.
  6. I just assume that I’ll play simpler music as I get older. Look at Keith Richards’ hands. If he can still play guitar at his age, I think I can keep going quite a while.
    And there are other instruments I could make some kind of noise with:laugh:

mikewalker and Dust2Dust like this.
  7. J-Fev

J-Fev Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2021
    What if it isn't a case of "don't want to" but instead a case of "unable to"?

fhm555, Jotha, murphy and 2 others like this.
  8. Same here. I practice standing every day. My Physio said my left shoulder is bigger than my right.

mikewalker, J_Bass and FunkHead like this.
  9. J-Fev

J-Fev Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2021
    I have viewed myself as a musician for over 30 years now. How do you deal with the loss of identity? It isn't that identifying as a musician makes me special, gives me super powers, or a visible aura - however, it has always given me an internal sense of identity. A sense of belonging even - a tribe that I claim membership in.

dSay, Nedmundo, murphy and 12 others like this.
  10. J-Fev

J-Fev Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2021
    Mods, feel free to lock or delete this thread. I am sorry I started it. Just going through a rough patch emotionally and with health related issues.

11. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Then that's a different question. What do you mean by being "unable to"?

12. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    No no -- don't bail now. Tell us more about your situation and let us see if we can offer any useful advice!

13. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    DB, right?

I had a work health appointment a couple of months ago, and I had to press a ball to measure the grip strength. My left hand is stronger, and I'm right handed.

14. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Impaired
    I'm sure that day is fast approaching for one reason or another. Right now I'm still capable of playing, and I will as long as I find joy in it or am physically able. I know people who played right up until they ended up on their death beds, so it's just like breathing, you can do it until you don't anymore.

mike o, JRA, Bunk McNulty and 4 others like this.
  15. I’ve put down the axe “for good” twice so far, and now I’m back again :)

AlexanderB, MYLOWFREQ, JRA and 6 others like this.
  16. When I draw my last breath I’ll play my last note.

17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    When I can't physically get to where I can't play out or just lose interest, I'll probably continue to play guitar for myself and friends. I'll also finally learn to play the piano in my music room or maybe a few other stringed or wind instruments. Playing solo bass has no appeal to me. In any event, there is no reason to put away music entirely until you just can't play a note.

mikewalker and Engle like this.
  18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I'm going to die anyway. Might as well die while in harness.

19. J-Fev

J-Fev Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2021

Looking at some big C issues. That is all I want to say. See you on the flip side.

20. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    @J-Fev, very sorry to hear that.

I really hope you recover. Stay in the fight, don't give up.

I wish you the best, my TB friend.

Alan Wrench, JRA, Relsom and 8 others like this.