1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your main bass, and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Oct 9, 2009.

1. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    my 76 pbass.

...because it's a 76 pbass.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Hey, thats reason enough for me! ;)

3. My 2008 MIA J Bass.

Because it's better than my 2003 MIM J Bass, although I loved the latter's neck. :bawl:

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I wouldn't say that I have a "main" bass - different tools for different jobs (or gigs in this case) and all that.

But here are the two basses I pick up to play the most:
    StammieII008.jpg

The fretted most of all. Fat Stacks with an Audere pre gives it a super jazz type vibe. Strung with TI Jazz Flats.

The fretless has EMGs and an ACG filter pre and is strung with Sunbeams.

My favorites because they were built to be exactly what I wanted.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Dont take me wrong, but if you still have the MIM, just swap necks. You can always swap back if you need to. Just some food for thought.

6. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    my OLP MM2. unmodded except for Schaller strap-locks.
    SSPX0168.jpg
    professionally set up and lightweight. it used to be my Fender Jazz but it was so heavy, i had to get another bass to play during gigs.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Very nice Jared, but could you have a better reason than that? :D

I love the color!

8. It changes for me depending on the situation, my mood, what I've been listening to lately. I was never so "married" to one particular bass that I would stick with it in any situation, The closest I ever got to that was my 1988 Rickenbacker 2030. I probably played a 100 or so gigs with that in a 5 year period. Then I got my Danelectro Longhorn and got really hooked on how great it sounded, and the light weight factor, plus the band I was in at the time was alt country and it was perfect for that. Now I play in 60's garage cover band and mainly use the Danny for that. I jus picked up a Jay Turser Beatle Bass and can't put it down right now . I'll probably play it at practice today.
    When I record though, it tends to be my '92 Jazz. It sits in the mix so well with no EQ adjustment whatsoever.

9. My Ibanez ATK 300. It cuts through the band mix and holds a strong signal going through my pedals. I don't have any pictures. I hunted through my band's myspace photos, but I'm a bass player so not any good shots. Its black with a black pick guard. May swap it with a white pick guard.

I also have a blue MIM Fender Precision that is in the process of being bastard-ed. So far its got a new Gotoh bridge and a Dimarzio P pick up. I am debating a Jazz pickup in the bridge or a Music Man pick up. The guy doing the work also mentioned putting a 51 style P pickup real close to the neck. He said it would be beefy.

Thats all. I have a Jazz I use as back up at gigs. Its Mexican and has a Bad Ass bridge the rest is stock. Olympic white.

10. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    For years it was my '78 jazz.
    2006_0610Rehersal0003rotsizer.jpg

In my new band it's my modulus Q4. The extreme bass is what I need in this group.

114.jpg

Cheers,
    Jim

11. Gbassman815

Gbassman815

Feb 22, 2009
    i ordered it from hipshot, it was one of their standard models.
    it cost me right around 200. normally it would be cheaper, but that bass has gold hardware, so i got a bridge to match

12. Gbassman815

Gbassman815

Feb 22, 2009
    yes......usually weird looks and lots of questions:D

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My fretted EBMM Bongo is the bass from my arsenal that gets the most gigs, but currently I'm living a torrid honeymoon with my Steinberger XL2. The only thing that is preventing me from using it exclusively is the lack of the low B string, which I need for lots of stuff I play with my tropical music band.

Why those basses? Because to me, they can give me the most "multi-purpose" tone. But if I know in advance that I'm going to play a 100% "old-school thump" gig, my fretless Bongo or my Peavey T-40 will be in charge, for sure. If I'm going to play a 100% vintage hard rock gig, the Rickenbacker will be the only one there. But again, for "miscellaneous" gigs, the fretted Bongo and the Steinie are the best.

BTW, I'm not in the habit of having a bass as a backup. When I bring more than one instrument to a gig, it's because I'm going to play assorted stuff and don't feel lazy about carrying them.

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    front.jpg

More details: My fretted Stambaugh is the bass I play most because it's lightweight, has the most comfortable neck I've ever played (thin, smooth with a tung oil finish, and rock solid), balances perfectly, is set up for perfect (to me) action, has fairly flat fretwire to simulate a vintage feel and sounds like a super fat and smooth jazz bass but with a very airy, resonant quality. It's exactly what I wanted - a cross between a modern jazz and the old Guild B-302 (my first bass was a well worn B-302) that it takes its aesthetics and playability from.

Good enough? ;)

15. I own way more basses than I should but the one I like to gig with is my Fender P Lyte.
    It weighs like 7 lbs , has a Jazz spec neck and active electronics that sound fine to me.

My new Fender P deluxe is a close second, same neck, 3 band eq just a bit heavier.

16. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    these guys are getting equal rotation lately

'81 4003

ric.jpg

'08 P

DSCF0133.jpg

17. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Recently started using my '65J more in rehearsals.
    IMG_2080.jpg
    Such a sweet sounding and playing bass. Unfortunately I would never feel comfortable bringing it out to gigs. My Cote, Ric, or SR4 are my "take out" basses.

18. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    My VM squier p bass...because its a p bass and what else more do you need? [​IMG]

I can't get enough of that dark syrupy goodness those basslines put out. Plus the playability is amazing.

19. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    This thread is getting out of control: Main bass? Main basses? Every bass you own?

My main bass is my Tokai APB '57:

[​IMG]

And why? Because it gives me the tone I want every time with no effort at all on my part, like a good P-Bass should.

KO

20. Woodyrson

Woodyrson Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2009
    My number 1 is my '06 MIM Fender Jazz. I play it pretty much exclusively, but when I want a change of pace, I play my fretless SX jazz.

I really don't know what it is about that MIM. I just love that thing! I can honestly say that I have never touched another bass that plays as beautifully as it does. I was actively looking to buy an American P or J about 2 months ago, but after trolling my local music stores and playing every bass I could get my hands on, I realized that NOTHING compared to it. So, I took part of the money I had planned to spend on a new bass and put a set of Antiquity II pickups in my MIM, and I wouldn't trade it for anything now.