1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your main bass, and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Rushlover13

Rushlover13

Jul 7, 2009
    My Memphis P-bass, its the closest thing to a rickenbacker.

2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I only have two basses, my schecter stileto studio 6 being my main, there's a few reason for it. The main reason being the low B and the C string, other then that there's the satin neck finish and the over-all feel.

But somehow I'm getting tired of the Hz sound...it's kinda over-compressed not really agressive, not really sure how to describe it, but my buddy's barts sound better :p

3. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    Man! That is nice! Lovin that maroon body with tort guard.

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    fretless: Sterling

and for fretted: dirnt

5. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    My American Vintage '62 Precision. My all time favorite and a great workhorse for all gigs. See profile pic.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Well, in my OP, I asked for your main bass, and the basses it beats and why? So, I mean, if people want to post them all, please do so! Is good pr0n. :D

But yes, talking about the bass you use most (MAIN) bass is best, to stay on topic.

Man, I love that bass.

7. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I like all my basses, because they are each very different from each other. But for most gigs I will bring an '03 MIA Jazz. It sounds just like a jazz bass ;), and with the S-1 switch it can get close enough to a P-bass in a live mix to sound like it's a different bass altogether.

8. Main bass: Dean q4 Custom w/hipshot bridge.
    Love the tone, love the feel. My first "decent" bass

Second:
    Michael Dolan SC 5 string fanned fret
    Sustain that never ends, very tight, clear sound, extremly fast neck and easy to play. Only reason its not main is its HEAVY ( which i asked for with wenge neck and bubinga body ) and i dont feel quite as comfortable playing on it as the old dean.

Attached Files:

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My main bass is an 2004 SX SPB 62 with a few mods. The reason is that it's just a darned good bass that does everything I ask of it, and has the sound I desire. This bass was originaly the back up to my beloved 64 Precision. After guitar player's Les Paul was stolen off a stage (with a full security team on hand as well.. go figure) only steps away from my SX and 64 Precision... the SX took over as "main" bass. The old P still makes it out to an occational show, but this SX has been "main show bass" for well over 4 years now. Both the old P and the SX go with me to the studio. The SX has been dialed in to the point where they sound VERY similar to each other with a little help from the Jason Lollar pickup, and a few other tweaks. Lot's of personal history with this one too. I've used this bass on some of the biggest shows I've ever played. I almost always get asked where this bass is if I'm playing something else , by someone at the show.
    [​IMG]

Back up is this 2008 Fender American Standard Precision. Also a great bass, but honestly doesn't sound quite as good as the Lollar equiped SX. Close, but not quite. Playablity is about the same... as in extreemly good. An absolutly wonderful bass that I have no issues about using in the event that I break a string (agressive pick playing and sweat is tough on strings) or need a backup for any reason at all. At the time of purchase, I figured I'd use this one as my "main" and move the SX to backup status, but honestly, after years and countless shows playing the SX, I just prefer it to the Fender.
    [​IMG]

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Savit, SX should take you as an Endorser!

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    They're cheap enough where I don't mind paying for 'em. :)

12. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    MY MAIN
    DSC_0608.gif

IS A BEAST!

13. K.Ross

K.Ross

May 19, 2008
    My Birdsong is my main bass now....why....Because of its versatility.(Don't get me wrong,I have 2 VERY NICE Carvins,but the Birdsong has A LOT more to offer in sound.)When I ordered it I never dreamed it would be so versatile.
    Kent:bassist:

14. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    My JB-2 is my go to bass. It just works...

15. My Valenti J5 is my main bass simply because it's easy to play, it's tonally versatile, and it's got a killer fretboard. It's also very light so playing it for a few hours straight is no problem at all. Not only that, it looks good too.

CIMG0493.jpg
    CIMG0490.jpg

16. My workhorse is my MIJ 70s reissue Fender Jazz.
    I wish I had a MIA but it sounds damn good and looks it too. But my other basses are my first bass my Dean Playmate, a Squier VM Fretless, and my still project Gibson Ripper.
    So you can see why it's my main bass.

17. My Ibanez SR505 is my current main bass. It has a versatile tone and is very light and comfortable to gig with. I have a jazz that I built from parts that I use for a back up. It sounds really good but is heavy and kills my shoulder if I play it for more than a few songs.

18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I didnt think of it that way, duh on my part!

Matt, that Valenti is still seriously beautiful!

19. 08 Fender Am Std P / TI Jazz flats - what more can I say

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    True that, makes me want to try one so much!