1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your main bass, and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Oct 9, 2009.

1. My #1, and the first 4-string I would grab if the house was on fire, Fender American Standard Jazz, '07 or '08, Transparent Sunset Orange over Ash, maple fretboard, graphite reinforced neck, S-1 switch. Does just about anything I need it to do. Feels like a good woman in my hands.

click to enlarge
    View attachment 142759

2. engage757

engage757 Banned

haven't played one of those yet... what are they like?

zack

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Black/Maple MIA P5 for me.

It covers everything.

4. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    A couple years ago, I picked up an SX P/J on CraigsList for $75. At the time, I was playing a MM SUB 5 in the band I was in. Later that year, I lost my job, sold all my gear (except the SX - because I knew it wasn't hardly worth selling). I loved the SUB, but didn't have much need for a 5 string really...

I made the move to Austin, and joined a band two days after I got here... I've been playing and gigging with the $75 SX ever since. (Bought a GK 800RB for $199 on the used GC site, and paid $30 to have it fixed - my wife bought me a $200 Ampeg 8x8 after we got down here). The SX got me the spot in the band, and it's been doing great, so why change anything, right? I check out new basses all the time, and the only thing that I've been interested in, is (honestly) a Squier VM Jazz. So, I've been keeping my eyes open for one.

Today, I just picked up a Squier VM Jazz for $150 (plus another $25 because the guy had someone scheduled to come look at it before I contacted him - gave him a bit more for "first dibs").... Haven't played with it much (only spent about 2 minutes with it at the guy's house). I figure if I don't like it, I'll get my money back when I re-sell... If I do like it, it'll make a good back up. If I love it, since it's my "expensive" bass.... It may become my new main bass.

May not last for long... I've been gassing for a Carvin SB5000 ever since the last Carvin catalog came out. Might come home with one after going out to LA this Christmas.

5. Fender Jaguar, because I just love it to pieces.

6. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    2001 Fender MIM J, fretless (the fretless was a customization). I love the thing. Sounds great, plays great, and doesn't weigh 100 lbs. like my other bass, Schecter Stiletto Studio 6.

And for all you low B converts who have posted, I would like to say that I had the exact opposite conversion. I LOVE the balls that the B string has, but I find that I have to work a little harder without it, which I have really come to enjoy.

And for the sake of completeness: I learned to play bass on a 6 string bass. Which I still don't really understand why it happened that way.

7. My Lakland Darryl Jones 5 is my main bass, due to the fact that it is solid, good sounding, versatile, and great looking.

The only other bass I use regularly is my Modded OLP MM2. It has flats for Reggae and R&B, but it will be replaced by a P-bass soon enough ;)

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My main bass is a 6er built by Brian Ristola. I had a certain tone in mind when we were in it's planning stage, but other than having using alder for it's body core, I had no idea! :D

Brian helped me to choose woods for it's body and neck, and suggested which pickups and preamp would best get the sound I wanted from the instrument.

He built me the best bass I've owned. It's a 6er, yet it's tone is very retro, -which was exactly what I was hoping to get. It's body design, balance, the feel of it's neck, pickup placement, etc. all fit me like a glove. It's a joy to play.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Once, for about five minutes when I first brought it to rehearsal. Then my band heard it, and started talking about how great the top looked.

Occasionally, someone will ask me if it's hard to play, or how heavy it is, or comment that they didn't know basses came with more than 6 strings. That's about it. No negative comments or snide remarks, no dirty looks in the studio. The only bass I own that ever draws comment regularly is my Steinberger.

10. VinceS

VinceS

Jul 25, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My main bass is a modded '04 MIM Precision. Black guard on midnight wine, Bartolini PU, upgraded electronics and hardware.

The primary reason is playability. Even though I have never been able to get the truss rod to turn (3/4/5mm allen wrenches won't fit..), the neck is close enough to being straight that I can get the low action I like. The neck feels good in my hands, much better than a thin jazz neck.

The next reason is the tone; I love the warmth I get from it.

11. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    my main bass is an r-bass 4 string from 2002 that is in my avatar pic. the reasons:

well, first off...i have thought about trading/sellign this bass numerous times, but just cant do it. it weighs less than 8 lbs, balances perfectly, plays effortlessly, has a pj configuration that lets me get a bunch of tones, is active passive, the craftsmanship is absolutely top notch and it just looks, sounds and feels fantastic.

right now i own an SX 70's style jazz copy, but wil probabaly get back into some higher quality passive p's and j's for backups/gigs that require more "tradional" instruments.

i also see an upright in my near future.

12. bobknowsbass

bobknowsbass

Jul 27, 2009
    Monrovia, CA
    My main bass is a Lakland Skyline 55-02. It's my main bass because it's the best 5 string I've ever played. I'm at home with a 5 string and the 35" scale just works for me. I can get a wide variety of tones from it. My previous bass main bass was a EBMM SR5. I loved that bass and it was a wonderful instrument but it had such a "niche" sound that I wanted something with variety. Here's the Lakie
    lakland55-021.jpg
    My backup is an Ibanez SR-506, once again a very versatile bass with an amazing sound. I love to transcribe guitar solos on this for fun and it's a fun bass, but the Lakie is just more "me" These basses all look the same, here's one I found on photobucket, just add a string
    DSC00152.jpg

This is also my backup but not behind the Ibby, more like tied for second. It's a MIM Jazz with flatwounds and a tort pickguard. It's a family bass so I know I'll never sell it. It's wonderful and gets a great RnB tone. I'm in love with it.
    MIMJazz1.jpg

Hey J, when I started on a 5 string it was hard for me as well. What I used to do is use the B string as a thumb rest and subconsciously try to "edit" out the B so I could feel like I'm playing a 4. I'd dip into the B for the occasional low D or C and then leave it alone. With time, I got to know the B and prefer the notes on it to the E string notes. Keep at it!

13. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Man, I'm having a ball reading everything! They're are some beautiful basses here!

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Done!:D

These are the two beasts that take up all my time, as I said, split evenly, so I could never say one over the other as a main bass.
    RoscoeBeckOutdoorpics3-2.jpg
    Photo-0145.gif

15. My main bass is my Warwick Corvette $$ 5 string. Being that baseball is the only organized sport I ever played in, the neck feels pretty good to me!

The $$ lets me dial up a lot of different sounds and every so often, I get surprised at yet another new sound I accidentally dial up. My challenge is finding them when I want 'em! So I really like the flexibility.

My Dean EAB fretless is just a kick around bass that I started plunking on.

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Yeah, but Dark, how could you honestly decide? Could you get two basses that are anymore unlike each other? ;)

(Im a bigger Roscoe fan)...

17. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    The only way the could get less alike is for me to break one!

Not happening!:D

FWIW, the only times I play out, I use my ABG, never electric.:meh:

18. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium

I can't decide either between a Fender and a Roscoe. :)

IMG_0740.jpg

They also are nothing alike, but they get the same job done.

19. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I feel your pain, I truly do.
    Exactly, completly different, but you'd manage any situation with either.

20. Fender MIA J delux 5 string is my main bass at the time