Your Mandatory Pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Jan 28, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    If this has been done, please redirect me tothe thread, and delete this one.

Im a serious noobert on the subject of pedals. What are the 3 pedals you guys consider to be mandatory for a funk/rock bassist?

As I said, Im totally ignorant. I know what most pedals do, so dont get me wrong, Im just very inquisitive.

2. 1. some sort of Wah, either filter(EHX Q-Tron, MXR Bass Auto Q, Boss Autowah) or manual(Dunlop 105q Bass wah, Morley power wah)
    2. and 3. are totally up to you maybe some sort of overdrive, bass boost, compressor if thats your cup of tea.

3. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Thanks Loony. But as I posted, I want to know your 3. I would like to get the general consensus of peoples favorite pedals.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    MANDATORY?

none. If you can't do it with your fingers, you can't do it.

Good to have?

Well, I'm a real minimalist, but have been putting together more of a board lately...

1) Tuner (Boss TU-2)
    2) Chorus (Boss bass chorus)
    3) Envelope filter (EBS IQ)

I recently added a EBS multidrive, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it. I'm just not much of a distortion guy...

5. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Honestly, I do most gigs with none. However, I love doing the gigs with them! So for me, my three go to's

1. Woolly Mammoth. I love love love mine :)
    2. SYB-3 Bass Synth. I use this in my Praise and Worship band quite a lot(believe it or not :))
    3. This is a hard one. I would say give me a Delay pedal. My current is the DD-20, which I love but could change :p

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    a compressor
    an OD (i like my english muff'n well but i'm no expert)
    a wah or an autowah

i think that would cover your bases well

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Give me a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI, an EMMA Discumbobulator and a Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe and I'll bring the funk. :bassist:

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    He said for "funk/rock" so try and help him out, not just give your own preferences.

I'd check out a Micro Q-Tron. This thing is so funky.

9. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Valerus to the rescue!

P.S. You avatar, is it a Crank Yanker?

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It's hard to say exactly because funk/rock covers a lot of ground. When I was in a cover band that did RHCP, RATM, Cake, STP, Sly & the Family Stone etc my board was wah, filter, OD, Fuzz and phaser.

So to cut that to three: Wah or filter, some kind of dirt and phaser.

If I had to grab three pedals off my current board for a funk/rock project I'd probably go OC-2, either the Moog Low Pass or Pigtronix EP-1 and a dirt pedal. Either the Blueberry if I want a cranked tube like overdrive or a fuzz, preferably one that could do gated sounds.

I didn't mention it because it's such and expensive option, but the Octavius Squeezer would likely be one of my three.

11. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    HHMMM...funk/rock:

1. A chorus that also has a flanger.....like the EBS. Can do rock and funk.

2. If you slap alot or dig in a compressor. Read Bongo's page for more info, you have options.

3. OD, primarily for rock, but with the right type of OD, a little overdriven tubeyness sound can be good. I like Tech21's VT.

Go out and play through as many different pedals as you can. That's the best way to learn what you like and what fits with the sound you are trying to "create."

As was said though, it all starts with your fingers and (I would add) where you strike the strings (closer to the bridge, closer to the neck, somewhere in-between?).

My 2 cents.

12. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    1. Ibanez PD7 for light distortion
    2. Boss CS-3 for compression
    3. not really mandatory. Morley Dual Bass Wah

13. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I play everywhere. I palm mute and thumbpick for Marley and the Wailers type stuff, slap and pop like crazy, kind of double thumb, mainly linger on my neck pup on my Jazz, but also hang on the bridge pup for jazzy/cleaner tones.

14. pfft I already told you Q-Tron silly lol. If you want specific pedals to look at.
    1.) Q tron(either the +, micro, or original depending on your preference and budget)
    2.) Holy Stain(versatile pedal with several usable functions including overdrive, and tone coloring)
    3.) some sort of EQ( EHX Tube EQ if you are looking for that warm sound, if not either an MXR or Boss EQ)

15. For a funk/rocker:
    Light-heavy OD ( depending on taste)
    Filter- s'all bout the funk
    A DI pedal of some sort be it sansamp, tone hammer or sadowsky to name a few

I have always prefered to gig with a DI pedal that has tone shaping because it is the most useful pedal you will ever own. Mine has saved my ass more times than I can remember, especially at gigs where I don't want to take my amp. Most of the gigs I play I either can't take my amp (I don't drive) or I don't want to take it with me when I know there is some form of backline.

If I had to choose 3 pedals to gig with it would probably be:
    •Cream Pie
    •BlueBeard
    •Either Tone Hammer or PBDDI I haven't really compared them side by side just yet so I'm not decided.

Hope this helps a little

16. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I know you did, silly! ;)

What I meant by that was Valerus got them back onto the Funk/Rock side of things.

D'oh!

17. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    For me it would be my EHX Stereo Polyphase, POG and Mammoth clone. All the funkiness you need right there.

18. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    +1
    That makes two of us.....I think we're right in sync...I'd probably bring the exact same three.

Possibly maybe swap out the Sansamp for my Bassdrive or Depth Charge.

19. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I really feel ignorant on the effects side of things.

Im definitely going to get the q-tron when I have the cash, it looks perfect. Exactly what I want.

I already have a crazy distortion pedal I found in my dads friends soon to be garbage when he getting rid of a bunch of stuff he "thought" was broken. But its distortion like Muse's Hysteria, nto your light TimmyC distortion.

Whats a muff do? Fuzz? Delay? I know what a whammy, filter, and OD are but otherwise I am totally dumb.

20. a Muff is a series of fuzz/distortion pedals by Electro Harmonix.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021