Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zabinski Bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by LOBass, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any experience with bows from Roger Zabinski? I am considering purchasing a French bow made by him, and would be interested in hearing any feedback. I have searched the archives but have not found any postings. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Tom

2. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wow, sorry about the lateness of this reply, I just got here!

Zabinski bows are AMAZING. I highly recommend them, if they're in your price range.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

What is that Price range by the way and where is this maker located?

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    He's in minneapolis and his German bows go for $3500 -- he and I have just been emailing. takes 6-8 weeks to make one; there don't seem to be many out to test - although I think Steve Reilly has a French one.

Louis

5. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I believe the French bow of his I'm playing is also in the neighborhood of $3k.

6. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    6 - 8 weeks is short. Sue Lipkins is 3 years now but also $5,500. I just got one about a year old this week and I'm on the list from last year for my initial order.

His prices seem similar to Reid Hudson. I wonder if their Bows can be compared some how. I have tried two and they were quite different.

8. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I thought that Reid Hudson's prices were closer to 5k...could be wrong.

9. Beebo!

Beebo!

Mar 31, 2006
    Zabinski bows are awesome! I played one the other day. Where can you find them? Does he have a website?

10. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Beebo, do you play French or German... ? I've been looking for a German bow of Roger's to try before making the plunge and they seem to be scarcer than hen's teeth.

Louis

11. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I'm trying out one of Reids German models now and it's great. $3K

12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

I think the only other Bow maker other than Sue that I know of in the 5k range now is Fuchs . At that level of bows and prices it comes down to a matter of taste, the individual stick and playing style.

Last Saturday I brought both my Lipkins and Bultitude. I wanted to use the Lipkins for the Mozart Soprano solo Exultate jubilate which was for only two of the Cellos and added solo Bass in unison. It was so sensitive and exposed. The Lipkins Bow was just sweeter for that piece so I used the Bow in that half of the program.

13. Beebo!

Beebo!

Mar 31, 2006
    German. But the bow I tried was french. Anyone have a phone number, or website?

14. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    here's his email

"ROGER ZABINSKI" <rzabinski@prodigy.net>

If you have time, email me and let me know what you think.

Louis

15. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Exluding European makers, right? Lucchi - 5K+.

16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Is that G. Lucchi or the Sons? I didn't know they were over 4k already. By the way, I know him personally. I had 2 of the 6 Bows he made for Biase back around 1977 from Bologna and he visited me in my apartment around 1988 or so with his Wood Elasticity measuring machine. I remember paying $1,100. for each Bow back in '77. That was alot, but I liked them and kept them as an investment. I had a Sartory already back then.

17. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Actually you know, you might be right, but I think I was quoted 5K for a G.Lucchi when I got my Lucchi&Sons. I'd LOVE to compare your Lucchis with my L&Sons. In fact, I'd love to own one of your G.Lucchis. Feel free to donate one to me. And I'll have your Bultitude too, while you're at it.:D

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Ha ha, very funny. Actually, I sold them back to Biase in 1990-91 when I put my Italian Bass up for sale when I unloaded all my Bass stuff. Paul Biase may still have one of my old Lucchi Bows left but you will have to ask him. The Bultitude on the other hand blows any Lucchi or L. & Son Bow away that I have played and I played about 10 over the years counting 6 from the Dad and 4 of the Sons Bows.

If Bultitude was French, it might even be more $ than it is now. The last similar model/year/condition Bultitude Bow that I know of was on the market for 7k within the last 2 years. It's gone now so I know someone paid dearly for it.

Happy hunting and keep your dreams real...