1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zappa Family Feud

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Apr 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I'm a gear head, so this was the worst part for me:

"The dispute also spills over into the division of estate property, like a set of guitars that Dweezil said were given to him by his father but, he says, were 'repossessed' by his mother."

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oi vey...

SirMjac28, Dan B and Chili Bo Billy like this.
  3. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Frank wrote in his book "People make a lot of fuss about my kids having such supposedly 'strange names,' but the fact is that no matter what first names I might have given them, it's the last name that is going to get them in trouble."

AltGrendel, Mvilmany, nixdad and 5 others like this.
  4. I used to bark at the Moon:

The original Valley Girl!

5544 likes this.
  5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    that's ashame, saw ZPZ last fall at a small venue, awesome show that lasted 3 hours, hope the kids can work this out.

P. Aaron likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Greed Always Destroys

7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
  8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Someone is lying here. I really can't see Dweezil paying to change all of his promotional materials and giving an interview with the NY Times over $1.

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Frank Zappa wouldn't have engaged in a cheap publicity stunt like this.

P. Aaron and Tanner5382 like this.
  10. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    What a mess.

11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Bob_Ross likes this.
  12. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

The $1.00 comes with a price......

Gail and Dweezil Zappa had negotiated the split on the merchandising on the ZPZ tours ten years ago. I believe it was a 50/50 split. Dweezil had sent her ALL the money and had yet to ever see his percentage.

Yes Ahmet's deal is for $1.00 and to also continue taking 100% of the merchandising and not recognizing the "signed contract". Paying the dollar would be accepting those terms.

Gail Zappa was unbelievably poor at managing FZ estate and his recordings. The estate apparently has NO money at this time.

Lot of issues here but it's a shame, Dweezil is taking the heat, yet he is the only one that has kept the music out there.

Gail had a lot of interesting plans but none of the business acumen to execute them.

13. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I don't understand how they can be broke when they have the Vault.

14. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Gail Zappa, unbelievably poor at managing the estate, says it all. The merchandising money that was supposed to be split with Dweezil was spent on the estate.

Not sure if you've noticed but only one person seemed to be bringing a money into the estate, Dweezil.

The Vault seemed to be mismanaged on such an epic scale along with FZ's catalog. Not sure exactly what was going on but there seemed to be a lot of buzz on independent film projects that never seemed to come to fruition. These projects, some with Kickstarter money others with their own funding, and somehow none of the cash made its way into the estate.

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Just sad, soup to nuts. I saw the ZpZ show here in San Diego last December - it was quite good, but Dweez appeared... distracted. Elsewhere. Maybe this stuff is getting to him, I dunno.

16. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Very sad, and seemingly symptomatic of everything Frank hated about the music business, come home to roost in his own family.

Curious though about how, according to Dweezil, a trust manages to collect 100% of merchandise revenue generated by tours that Dweezil organizes and carries out. Seems like the money would first come to the tour, then be distributed to the trust. If I had a 50/50 split contract, at the end of the tour I'd total the receipts, deduct the expenses, and send the trust half of the proceeds, per the contract. If the trust disputes the totals, they can hire auditors. So I get the feeling the story is more complicated than is possible to glean from these unfortunate public broadsides.

AltGrendel likes this.
  17. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Years ago, Dweezil and Ahmet had a musical variety TV show that flopped. I saw one episode of it. They had Kenny Rogers on as a guest who performed with them. Dweezil appeared honored to be performing with Kenny. Ahmet was a complete jerk. He made fun of Kenny and was quite rude. Kenny took the high road and acted professionally. That was my first and only impression of Ahmet.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  18. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    On a side note, I listened to this last night:

Bob_Ross likes this.