Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Model Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumzini, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    The local wonderboy at Guitar Center tells me there is a dark blue Zon 56 string in for $1100. He says it has 2 knobs and two pick ups...brialliant eh? Can anyone tell me if there is any way to find out what this thing is without going there? I can't go until saturday.

2. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    56 strings good god man, that's a load to handle :eek:

If i were to guess it's a Sonus 5
    Like this...possibly
    http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/sonus5.html

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Doh...yeah 56 strings...minus 51. I was thinking that one...but I couldn't find the blue color. Does anyone 'round here have this particular bass? In that color? How does this price sound? He says that's as low as it can go to...but we'll see. How is the string spacing comparable to? Sorry for all the questions...I've just heard nothing but good aout these guitars and when I heard 1100...thought that may be a deal.

4. anderbird 13

anderbird 13

Feb 19, 2005
    Frisco, TX
    Zon is also doing the new RT bass. It is a 5 string and is available in Blue. It is nice, but if it is that instrument, the retail is $1695 and Korean made. I don't think that GC is a Zon dealer, so it seems realatively high for a used one. If it is a Sonus 5 it is a great deal.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    www.andersonguitargallery.com

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    He told me it's a used bass. I just called him back also to tell me if it was 34 or 35 inch scale...Uhhhh...I erally don't know. I also asked if the 2 knobs as he put it were a stacked combo of volume /blend and bass/treble or what...guess the answer........

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    So even if its the basic of Zon's...how well are they?

7. stamman5

stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Boston
    I just got a Zon Sonus 5 and I love it. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: And if it is indeed not an RT that is quite a deal. I like the Zon because it sounds great, very clean and clear througout the entire range AND with the graphite I don't have to worry about the neck at all. Living in Boston with this weather :mad: that is a very important thing for me. :) . If it were me and I had the funds I would go for it for sure.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah...I've been reading a 'lil'bout'em...graphite neck...so no trus rod?? I understand Boston weather...I would suppose Michigan ain't to far behind. I'm just going nuts not being able to see it till saturday!!! It seems to me the basic 5 has a stacked volume/ blend and a stacked bass/treble??? How is the midrange? I'm used to being able to dial in boost/cut and frequencey on mine. Got any pics of your 5, stamman?

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Best guess would be that it's a Sonus of some type. Does it have jazz p-ups or soapbars? If it has the jazz type, it's probobly a plain old Sonus. If it has one soapbar, it's probobly a Sonus 5/1, if it has 2 soaps, then it's probobly a 5/2. It sounds like one of these three at that price range. As far as being good, I've liked just about every Zon that I played, so it still should be sweet.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Tell him to read the headstock badging to you. :)

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Thanks for the info ya'll. I did ask him to tell me about it. He said he had it in his hands as he talked to me. This is how he described it. "It has two pickups and two knobs on it, and it's dark blue." WOW!!!! Man I could work there and be the resident bass dude!

12. So, at what point does a Sonus become a great deal?

Anything below $1,400?

What would a new one sell for / street price.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    New "street" price on a stock Sonus 5 (no upgraded preamp or fancy top) should be about 2300, 2600 for one with a fancy top and upgraded preamp. If you find the right dealer at the right time, you might get the fancy one for 2200-2300, but that's very unusual.

On resale, they move slower than, say, a Sadowsky, mainly 'cause the Sadowskys are what people are hot for right now, but it should pull anywhere from 1400-1800 in mint condition, depending on the model. The bass in question probably cost about 2200 new, also adjusting for price increases, assuming it's a few years old, so if it's mint, 1100 is probably at least 200-300 less than it's worth... which, IMHO, is a great price.

As you may or may not know, high end basses don't follow the simple rule of "1/2 what you PAID* new" for used (*=selling price, not MSRP). Depends mostly on how badly the seller has to move stuff (as usual). If yer willing to wait for the right buyer, it makes a big diff.

14. Thanks for the response! I don't know Zon pricing too well, but I may pick up a Zon 5 to compiment a modulus 4...

15. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I believe that's a "regular" Zon Sonus model and probably 6+ years old. The knobs are probably both doubles, with one being a volume/pan and the other being a bass/treble. When I used connections and bought a new Sonus 5 around '98, I payed something just short of $1800 for it. Back then, I remember seeing that some of the models had the two concentric knobs while others had the vol and pan controls on separate knobs.

From what I have observed on eBay, older Sonus basses tend to go closer to $1000 than $1500. They're so well built that it's a great bargain. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen, but I'd readily pay $1000 for a nice one.

Of course, I think they're pretty reasonably priced new compared to some other makers. I may just order another Sonus five with some custom features before the year is out.

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    True, AlembicBob, if it's that old, then yeah, 1000-1100 isn't exactly a "smokin'" deal, but is a very reasonable price indeed. The great thing about Zons is their total imperviousness to weather, seasons, etc.. that neck is steadfast. No worries about irregularities, dead spots, etc., ever... no mater how old the bass is.

17. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    Well, it's not entirely true that thee are no weather worries. It certainly won't affect the way the bass plays, but the finish they used to use on the necks was susceptible to cold. Tough up here in New England, and mine developed some finish cracking on the neck as a result. I don't think the new satin necks will behave quite the same way.

I can't say enough about how stable the neck is, though. It's great to have the action set where I want it and to know that it will be right every time I take it out of the case.

I need to call Joe Zon... This thread has me wanting a custom bass. How about a 34" scale fretted 5, mahogany back with tortoise shell/tiger eye finished quilty maple top, and studio electronics. I'd love a Sonus body shape with a slightly extended upper horn and a set neck. I wonder if he's in the mood to experiment these days?

18. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I agree that the used price on a used Sonus 5, especially without any fancy top, is right around $1000. Paying $1100 for one at a retail store where you can play it first seems pretty reasonable.

One of the GC's in Chicago had a used blue Sonus 5 that was marked at $900. That was several months ago.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    So far so good on mine! :)

How about a big ol' puddle of my drool on the ground when I see pictures of it. ;)

20. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    Well, heck, I better get on the phone to Zon right now! You can't beat a big puddle of drool!

Basically, I would be looking to pair some of the tone I get from my Alembics with the convenience of the composite neck. I would prefer even a shorter scale for my stubby fingers, but the neck feel of Sonus basses has been just outstanding for me. I doubt Joe would go into custom scale lengths as the hassles with doing that on composite necks can be significant. My "regular" Sonus sounds very much like an old Jazz bass with a maple board. I'd like something with a fuller bottom to it, though, and that would be my vision for this bass.

Seriously, though, I will be contacting them to see what they think.