1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MammaryVest, Nov 29, 2006.

1. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I think that if I ever got a "fancy" bass, I might want it to be a Zon Sonus, that time might come soon. What do all you guys know about them? Anyone have one?

2. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    had one...want another one...zon is the money...i love them...one of the best playing and sounding basses, and for the money, used, out there...period

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Big +1...

~S~

PS: "Use the search Luke"...

4. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    I have 2 and love them to dead

2gw9lxe.

4hswx6q.

No deadspots, consistant sound , never go out of tune and super solid, plus the are nice looking as well.

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    had one, owned it about 7 years, traded it to Quadzilla. Great neck, balanced well, great action, active pickups.......I just wanted a different tone. If I had the money to buy the guitar amp and new bass that I needed/wanted, I would have kept the Zon. They are a lot more expensive than they were in 1997 though. Used is the way to go. If you get a used one you won't regret it since it's resale value will hold well

6. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I 've had a fretless Sonus Special 5 for over ten years now. It is the only bass I've ever kept that long and I don't plan on selling it, ever. Zon makes an incredible fretless!

7. I always wanted one,,,, don't think I ever heard 1 bad thing about them.. I wish they had a different body style though cause when I see that Body style I think of the cheaper made basses.. but its for balance I know I'm just a spoof sometimes..

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Terrific basses. Killer tone that fits perfectly in lots of different situations, although it´s not for everyone.
    IMHO, Zon´s special recipe to combine wood, graphite (carbon fiber) and selected electronics is unmatched.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I played a sonus at Gelb in Redwood City, CA. I had been warned I would be ruined for life. I am. :D

10. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I have a VB5-- the 5 string version of Manrings famous "Vinny" bass. It is the best bass I've owned, and I've owned a few.

With the set-in composite neck and phenowood fingerboard, the thing is darn near indestructible!

At less than $2k, it's probably the best bang-for-the-buck Zon. Not that $2k isn't *a lot* of $$$'s! To me it is! But the other Zon models are a good bit more costly.

I haven't logged much time on a Sonus and would love to hear any comparisons between the Vinny and Sonus models from anyone has experience with both.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    FWIW, $2K isn't dirt for a great bass used...

~S~

PS: If you don't have something good/great to start with(especially love playing),all the aftermath(pre's/cabs)won't make a difference...

~S~

12. Been an admirer of Simon's Zons through multiple threads now. I have to be one of the luckiest first-year players in the forum, given this arrived in month #6 of my first year with bass. It was a lot of reading that convinced me to look at used Zon, and hands on time was a near religious experience. :)

Zon Lined Fretless Sonus Special 5, with what I believe is ZB4.3 electronics, strictly from going through all of Zon's diagrams. Mid-range variations are mind-boggling. Growl is intense. This one came used at way under half the current new price of $4545. Almost convinced I could flip it for a $400 profit apart from holiday season. I'll likely never know. Came from a retail shop that stands behind their used selections. Not a single mark on it. Haven't seen another used Special like this anywhere since June.

Attached Files:

13. GhostLobby

GhostLobby totally deeeeef on the hi-hat side

Nov 20, 2006
    Seattle
    I now have GAS......

14. I can't say enough good things about Zon that hasn't already been mentioned above.

They are simply the best price:value "boutique" bass out there if you move around a lot and want a consistent tone 24/7.

I love mine to death.
    [​IMG]

15. ugh me too.

16. simongpaez

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Nice catch man, I am dying to get a fretless Zon, been looking for one for sometime (used of course) but no luck, I'll keep searching :)

17. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    Your Zon's are beautiful Simon. I can't get over it. I must have one.

18. simongpaez

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas

Thanks a lot, they really are , I am really proud to have those 2 bad boys.:hyper:

19. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I'm a Zon guy too. I've found I like the set-neck versions better. They open up the sound a bit. I only have a couple complaints about Zon. They're lacking a little in the highs (probably more a symptom of the Barts than Zon). Consequently they need some boosting of the high which results in Niagra Falls - noisy pre's. Wonderful necks though. Feel and sound great.

Here's mine:

jr2.

jr.

5sonusb.

20. Lets see . . .

Sonus 4/1
    Sonus 4
    Sonus 5 x2
    Sonus 5 Lightwave
    Sonus Custom 5

Gasing for a 5/2

Here's pics of a couple . . .