Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zone Alarm Pro/TB attachments help

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by KB, Feb 9, 2004.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I installed zone alarm pro at about the same time as TB upgraded. Now for some reason I cannot see attached picture thumbnails (even for those newly posted, as I know the old ones were all deleted). I think this may have somthing to do with zone alarm pro, but I could really use some assistance. My talkbass "option" to view attachments is selected, thus why I think it is a zone alarm issue.

All I see is the attached thumbnails box (empty) and every now and then I will see a small dash at the bottom of the box that i can click on to see the image, but this is only rare cases, and it is not a thumbnail, but a dash.

Any Zone Alarm Pro pros out there who can help out, or is this an obscure bug in my TB?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    shut down zone alarm.....can you see them now?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Disable web filtering

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I can see the pictures at work. I'll try them again at home tonight. Where is the web filtering option in ZA Pro? I don't remember seeing anything that obvious on it.

I have the pop-up blocker feature activated, but I tried it with that turned off and still no luck.

Actually I haven't been overly impressed with ZA Pro yet vs. the free basic ZA.

KB

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    at home I cannot see the attachments. I cannot find web filtering on Zone Alarm pro. Can someone familiar with ZA Pro please assist me in finding where the web filtering section is?

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    don;t use it anymore. check out agnitum outpost, it's better anyway.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    free version of ZA works fine

8. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Same thing happened to me after the upgrade.

Here at TB I went into "Edit Options" and UN-checked "show images" under the "Thread Display" Catagory and now it seems good.

Let me know if it worked for you.

Edit: I tried messin with ZAP a bit but I couldn't find where to fix this as I am not too familiar with it. I preferr Norton Internet Security (preferr older versions like 2001 which wont run on winXP) but the newer versions seem to make windowsXP run incredibly slow, so ZAP it is. My only guess is that if it is ZAP related, you could try under Privacy to cusomize those setting for ads/popups/cookies, etc.

Anyways, like I said, I UN-checked "show images" and now I either see an image or get a thumbnail to click on which opens the pic in a new window.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    On second thoughts, I move this into the appropriate forum...

10. Actually, no, the free version stops thumbnails in TB also.

And there is no setting I can find in ZA that can be changed to enable the thumbnails. There probably IS a setting in ZA Pro that can be changed.

I'm thinking there is a registry setting for ZA basic that can be changed, that isn't accessible from the user interface. I'll investigate and post the results.

11. Okay, well over a year and a half later.. but better late than never.

I ran into the same thing again with Zone Alarm. I had not been using it, but reinstalled it recently, and there went the thumbnails.

Zone Alarm considers the Talkbass thumbnail imagines to be banner/skyscraper ads. So.. In Privacy, under the Main tab, set Ad Blocking to Medium.

If you have it set to High, then go into Custom settings and uncheck banner/skyscraper ad blocking.

Alternatively, you can keep the Ad Blocking set to High, and set up an entry for talkbass.com in the Site List tab. Go into options for talkbass.com in the list, and click on the ad blocking tab. Uncheck the banner/skyscraper ads checkbox.

That will do it!