Zoom b3 patch Ideas

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crystalman85, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Dude, mellow out. It's people trying to learn about a pedal. I used a term figuratively. I thought that you had sold your B3, anyway?

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Yes I have, but I've only said that to remind everyone that this is a thread to share patch ideas. not a club. I'm not flipping out or anything. I'm just making some clarifications. and besides if this were a club, people will be asking for numbers(that is if people here still do that).

Guiseppe likes this.
  3. Longeen

Longeen

Oct 12, 2018
    Thank you, I already have it :). It's the first time that I use pedals with my Bass, so I try to understand what kind of effect use for each type of "sound".

So if you have an idea to approch a sound like Fleetwood mac bass player on "Dreams" track, pretty vintage sound, that's going to be really nice :) ! I read many pages of this thread, but I didn't find the accurate type of sound that I search.

Thank you :)

4. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Fair enough. I hadn't thought about 'club numbers'.

5. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I don't know that I would absolutely call this my "Fleetwood Mac" patch, but it is a very good match with a lot of 70's rock.

Position 1: The Heaven (Eden)
    Gain 72
    Bass 3
    Mid 0
    Mid_F 400Hz
    Treble 3
    ENHC 5
    Level 128
    Cab 8x10 AG
    Mix 100

If you like a little less "refined" tone, this is a good patch for 60's rock...like the good Fleetwood Mac w/ Peter Green :)

Position 2: Acoustic Model 360
    Gain 72
    Bass 3
    Mid 0
    Mid_F 400Hz
    Treble 3
    Bright Off
    Level 128
    Cab 8 x 10 AG
    Mix 100

NOTE: Notice the similiar settings? Yep. I set all the amp sims to the "same" settings and then tried them with various bands I liked to get an idea which amps worked with which tones. The Acoustic, for example, will play nice with fuzz pedals and more gain...think Cream or Jimi Hendrix. :) Enjoy!

6. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    Question for you smarty pants in here. I love my b3 and have some cool tones that I've grabbed from this incredible thread. But, all of them have three pedals in one. Curious, is anyone using their B3 just like a stomp box, like, mid song you want to kick on some fuzz or something? I've just got a new amp and I love the tone, and it has built in compressor and stuff, so I'm wanting to toy around with just having a few standalone effects that I can stomp on or off instead of switching to a whole new patch.

7. misterCRUSH

misterCRUSH It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz... Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    i totally use my B3 as a stomp box. i have my basic tone through my compressor and preamp, so the B3 is there when i need an octave, chorus, or overdrive. those are my 3 most commonly loaded ones anyway.

Guiseppe and bigthemat like this.
  8. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    What comp/pre are you using? What is your signal chain?

Guiseppe likes this.
  9. misterCRUSH

misterCRUSH It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz... Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    I am using a Darkglass hyper luminal compressor (sym mode) and a Two Notes le bass tube preamp. I play a fretless Fender Jazz bass and plug it all into an Ampeg BA 115

bigthemat likes this.
  10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hey y'all! Longtime MS-60B user here (5 years) and just yesterday I got a used B3 for cheap, which, with the addition of an exp. pedal I've already got will replace a B1X Four I bought some months ago but can't get to sound like my MS-60B (the Four being noisy, sounds boxy and dead in comparison).

I have a question, how do you remove/erase/delete an effect from a slot in the chain? I mean, leaving no effect there. In some units there's a "bypass" or "thru" effect (not an effect really, just a "virtual cable"), but I couldn't figure out how to do that on the B3 and the manual says nothing about it. I have no problem leaving those effects in slots I don't use off, but it still pinches my OCD. Thanks in advance!

11. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    Good question, I think by design turning off the effect using the foot switch is the way to do this. Now, how about EQ effect with neutral setting?

andruca likes this.
  12. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    or use the ZNR set at 0?

13. 4scurse

4scurse

Oct 1, 2020
    This is amazinngg. How do I get ? Pleasee Help :D

RedVee likes this.
  14. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    If you don't have an effect "on", it is as thought it is empty. There's not a way to "empty" it from having some pedal (usually the Opt Comp).

15. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    You get it (or something like it) by experimenting and learning how the pedals work and interact w/ each other.

16. 4scurse

4scurse

Oct 1, 2020
    ha ha ha so funny! why didn't I think of that? you're very smart dude! thank you!

17. sometimes the ‘Easy Button’ is your biggest disservice. He’s given you some good advice.

Guiseppe likes this.
  18. Trilobita

Trilobita

Nov 16, 2018
    Hello fellow bassists,

Just two days ago I got hold of a used Zoom B3 and I am now trying some patch ideas. One of the things I'd like to do is to recreate Ontto's bass tone as heard in Oranssi Pazuzu's "Tyhjä Temppeli":

I am not too savvy with bass effects beyond a basic understanding of compressors and I have started guessing that this sound should be something like fuzz (or dist, or synth) + comp + chorus, though even that might completely wrong (I also made some experiments with the phaser that seemed to go in a promising direction). Yesterday I spent a lot of time fiddling around and ended up with this:

EFFECT 1: Great Muff (Gain 4, Tone 46, Level 70, Bal 10)
    EFFECT 2: D Comp (Sense 8, Tone 8, Level 70, Attck fast)
    EFFECT 3: Chorus (Depth 74, Rate 20, Mix 70, LoCut off, Level 80, PreD on)

So far this is the best match I've come up with, though it is still not quite there. To my effects-untrained ears, it sounds similar to the record but lacks a bit of fatness and a certain "plasticky" quality of the original sound, which seems to have a hint of something heard through a plastic tube (at least to my ears). What do you think of my current patch as compared to the original audio, and how do you think it could be improved to better match that sound?

Thanks!

19. wanderson

wanderson

Dec 25, 2019
  20. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I like it. Some nice vintage era grind there.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021