1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom MS-60B (part 2)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Oct 21, 2013.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Just following up on this. What do you mean the patches weren't active? You were in the mode where pressing the footswitch cycled through each of your A/B/C patches, and you were able to switch to each patch with the footswitch but your sound wasn't changing?

3. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa/Boogie
    Sub'd:)

4. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have had the exact problem as two other posters, namely running the amp sims causes the appearance of the high pitched noise. It disappears if I turn off the cabinet sim or if I get rid of the amp sim completely.

It's there whether I'm on battery or mains power.

5. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I just noticed that Stompshare had added some more bass pre's and fx....Will the 100bt be a viable "upgrade" from the 60b or will the 60b remain as the only truly bass-centric product of the multistomp series? I much more prefer the color of the 100bt pedal to the red :bag:

6. I've tried two units now. Both have identical high pitched noise problems. The serial numbers were #721 and #1039. What's the serial number of your unit Peter? Just wondering if there is any correlation...

7. Against all odds, I can still hear out to 17KHz (not bad for only a year off 60!), and mine doesn't make an audible noise.

Serial #518.

Something to consider: we've got a wide range of users, with different types of basses, and different needs in terms of gain. One person may be using the SVT sim with the gain at 1/3, and someone else with it racked.

It would be helpful for people to mention the settings they were using, as well as the patch name, when they experience the noise.

Another related thought: I started having noise problems with my G-K MB800 a while back. Tracked it down to a loose screw-on connector on a George L cable...

8. Papalampraina

Papalampraina Need.More.Fez.

May 13, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Scratch that, you were right and I was just not paying attention. The pedal is working fine, as it should, and it's a great asset.
    For what it's worth, I didn't like the phaser that much, so my MXR Phase 90 is for keeps. The delay and the tremolo are great. I also noticed that they changed the tuner activation, so unlike the B3, when you keep the foot switch pressed to turn on the tuner, it doesn't affect the current patch.

9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I just gave my box another careful listen with the amp gain and level cranked through headphones. I did not hear a clear tone anywhere after trying all my stored and factory patches and all the individual effects units. Of course the noise may be more prominent with certain parameter settings and there simply is not time enough in the world to do a full factorial test of all effects, patches, and settings. If someone wants to post specific patches with all the settings you use when you hear the noise I can listen again. Now one patch, SANS UP, and one effect unit, DI+, kinda/sorta had a noise floor that hinted at being colored by a tone. Reminded me of an audio demonstration I once heard where the demonstrator played a tone and asked if anyone could hear it. No one could. Then he played the same tone, same level, but with white noise added and we could all hear it. Kinda/sorta. I'm confident that the noise on my unit is at too low a level to bother anyone.

Johno Dunn likes this.
  10. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    My serial number is #998.

I just picked up a B3 to compare, and so far, no noises from the amp sims as on the MS-60b.

11. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have a Celinder J Update with Greengrove preamp, a Celinder J Classic with J-Retro, a Squier CV Jazz, and a Squier CV Precision. Run these into a Berg IP112ER or a Streamliner into an Acme cab. Also tried through PA systems and used different cables.

Also tried all the different amp sims.

In all cases, when I mix the 'cab' parameter up, up comes the whine. When I turn 'cab' mix down, or turn off the amp sim altogether, away it goes.

12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Errr.... this is interesting. I also have serial # 000508.

:eyebrow:

13. Oops. Typo! Edited my original post. Mine is 000518.

14. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

:)

15. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Would that make them parallel numbers?

[​IMG]

nataku333 likes this.
  16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Question.

Does the parametric eq effect display the frequency of the band it is effecting, or is it a simple 1-10 display?

I'm thinking this might be useful in surgically honing in on rogue room nodes - being able to easily go straight to the offending frequency (once identified with the RTA app on my ipad/iphone) would be really useful.

17. jumblemind

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Agreed. I don't like the phaser model at all compared to the Phase 90. The delays are all done well, and the I like the soft swirl leslie-like tremolo. The real strength of the modulation is the different sounds you can create through combinations IMO. Be sure to check out the MS-60b patch ideas thread.

90% of my live use, though, is for on-the-fly tone/EQ changes.

18. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    I do not have a real MXR Phase 90, but I do have 2 clones, and both are better than the phaser model in the MS-60B. I still use the model for rehearsals, though. It is so easy to just pop the MS-60B into the gig bag without resorting to the rest of the pedal board.

...and when the drummer kicks in...

19. jumblemind

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    :cool:

20. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    A couple of more questions/ suggestions regarding the mysterious whining.
    Have you tried adjusting the effect levels down?
    Have you tried using the eq to remove that specific frequency?