1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zoom PS-04 - Any Feedback?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by RunngDog, Feb 16, 2006.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm posting this one in a couple of forums, since I'm not sure exactly where it belongs and I assume moderators will kill it off anywhere it doesn't. Anyway, I'm looking for input on this little digital recorder/effects device. Looks like a scaled down version of the Zoom MRS-8 (at about half the price of that unit), with 4 tracks instead of 8 but otherwise with many of the same features, functions, and processes. Having owned and rarely used a Boss BR-532 due to the excessive complexity and fairly mysterious user manual, I'm looking for something that is much more straight-forward and user-friendly. I intend to use this for personal recordings of songs I'm working up for my band (the band doesn't really like it when I come in with a pile of sheet music for a new tune).

Any thoughts? Any MRS-8 owners who considered the PS-04 and decided against it -- for any reason besides the number of tracks?

2. dhodgeh

dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    FLA-USA
    I've got one, and I think it a great small portable scratch pad device. A great complement to a PC based DAW.

As far as user friendly is concern, it's still fairly complicated given that you've got a lot of features in a small package with a limited number of controls. I had a Boss BR864 at one time, and would rate time about the same as far as user interface complexity is concerned.

But, then you know what they say about user friendly - the more you use it, the friendlier it gets.

hth

D

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    The only reason I bought the MRS-8 instead of the PS-04 is the type of memory card that is used. The largest card available that can be used in the PS-04 is a 128mb card, which doesn't give you much recording time. That's the main reason I decided to get the MRS-8 instead. It uses SD memory cards, at this point I'm using 1GB cards with it, but I can also go higher if I want. ;)

Best of luck!! :bassist:

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I owned one and sold it.

It can be a complicated little thing, but doesn't ahve to be. But it has all these bass/drum features and what not that I never used or wanted/needed to use. I recorded an entire band with it. It was a pretty good little machine.

I sold it because after I went to engineering school (recording) I wanted to get something that had a little more option and what have you.

5. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA