Zoom PS-04 - Any Feedback?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by RunngDog, Feb 16, 2006.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm posting this one in a couple of forums, since I'm not sure exactly where it belongs and I assume moderators will kill it off anywhere it doesn't. Anyway, I'm looking for input on this little digital recorder/effects device. Looks like a scaled down version of the Zoom MRS-8 (at about half the price of that unit), with 4 tracks instead of 8 but otherwise with many of the same features, functions, and processes. Having owned and rarely used a Boss BR-532 due to the excessive complexity and fairly mysterious user manual, I'm looking for something that is much more straight-forward and user-friendly. I intend to use this for personal recordings of songs I'm working up for my band (the band doesn't really like it when I come in with a pile of sheet music for a new tune).

Any thoughts? Any MRS-8 owners who considered the PS-04 and decided against it -- for any reason besides the number of tracks?
  2. dhodgeh

Jul 15, 2004
    I've got one, and I think it a great small portable scratch pad device. A great complement to a PC based DAW.

As far as user friendly is concern, it's still fairly complicated given that you've got a lot of features in a small package with a limited number of controls. I had a Boss BR864 at one time, and would rate time about the same as far as user interface complexity is concerned.

But, then you know what they say about user friendly - the more you use it, the friendlier it gets.

3. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    The only reason I bought the MRS-8 instead of the PS-04 is the type of memory card that is used. The largest card available that can be used in the PS-04 is a 128mb card, which doesn't give you much recording time. That's the main reason I decided to get the MRS-8 instead. It uses SD memory cards, at this point I'm using 1GB cards with it, but I can also go higher if I want. ;)

Best of luck!! :bassist:
  4. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I owned one and sold it.

It can be a complicated little thing, but doesn't ahve to be. But it has all these bass/drum features and what not that I never used or wanted/needed to use. I recorded an entire band with it. It was a pretty good little machine.

I sold it because after I went to engineering school (recording) I wanted to get something that had a little more option and what have you.
  5. XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005