1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

10th grader looking very cheap EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by luvmywife, Apr 25, 2010.

1. luvmywife

luvmywife

Apr 25, 2010
    Hi there,
    I hope I'm in the right forum. Actually I'm the 10th grader's Dad and I hope you'll excuse my extreme ignorance.

Andy plays in his high school orchestra--has played since 8th grade the double bass, which he says is 1/2 size and they are all student basses--"Cremona" brand.
    He needs to really start practicing at home but we can't afford a double bass, and don't have the means to transport that huge thing home for him to practice. Thus, my questions here about an EUB, although I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what questions I should be asking . . .
    1. What is a very inexpensive EUB that doesn't require a separate amp? (or is that even possible). I'm looking for as cheap as possible even at the expense of good sound.
    2. I read some use 9 volt batteries. Does that mean it doesn't have a separate amp but plays through the bass itself somehow?
    3. What else should I know or should have asked?

Thank you,
    W Jones

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The first one that comes to mind is the Palatino VE-500... Don't know the current going price. It has a pre-amp and 1/8" headphone jack... Mine sounds 'okay' with headphones, but much, much better even through a small practice amd (Acoustic B20)...

-robert

3. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Save the frustration and rent a decent instrument. They might allow you to apply rental credit towards purchase down the road. As far as size is concerned, it will fit in just about any size 4 door car with a little ingenuity...

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Maybe the OP's son walks, bikes, or rides the bus to school. I sympathize. My kids will face that issue if either of them takes up the double bass.

5. nickidame

nickidame

Mar 24, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Spoken Word, Poet
    Sizing: One consideration might be sizing... Sizing is not consistent among EUB's, but many fall into the 3/4, 4/4 range. Don't panic, this doesn't mean the basses are twice as big, but it does mean that the scale will be larger than your son is used to. Details on sizing here:
    http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/2-SIZES_DOUBLE_BASS_SIZING_FAQ.html

So, one of the pros of renting is that you could rent a smaller size bass for the time being.

An EUB is definitely a cheaper option. The resale value (thru kijiji or craigslist) is pretty stable, so you're likely to get most of your money back out of it when you're ready to upgrade...These are pretty good places to source an EUB in the first place.

Within Talkbass, there are detailed reviews of most of the models commercially available... There are also samples on youtube, so you can hear/see some of the different types.

It's important for your son's practice that the EUB you choose allows for arco (bow) playing.

The Palatino (already mentioned) is one choice. Another very strong choice is the Stagg. Both have the ability to plug in a head set. The Stagg also has an MP3 input which allows for play-along.

I prefer the tone of the Stagg... I also prefer the construction. But, this is highly personal... and I am using it for different purposes than your son - so I'm biassed.

There are some recommended modifications that you'll find in these forums... They're easy DIY projects... and they really help.

Both of these EUBs can be had for $700 or so. Better deals can be found on Craigslist.

Both of these can be played without an amp... But a practice amp is still a very good idea. A used practice bass amp is well under $100 and (once again) can be resold without taking much of a hit.

Also, if your son chooses to migrate to a regular electric bass or electric guitar... this amp will do double-duty

Back to renting a" "proper" " bass for a moment... There's a lot to be said for it... the instrument will be set up... If there are any problems the store should take care of them...and it is true that much of your rental can be applied to the purchase of a new bass.

However, that assumes that you buy the bass from the same place you rented it. This is not a "gimme"

You can do the math yourself... but when I did it, I found that buying an EUB (at this stage in my own early development) - Made much more financial sense.

Hope that helps some,

N.

6. For studies on the EUB You need an amplifier or headphones. 9V battery - this is not a means for capturing sound. It only amplifies the signal, which then require a separate amplifier. But at home you can do without a connection (without amp). EUB with audible.
    Learn to play the EUB is not correct. (If in the future he will play on acoustic bass, you need to learn the Acoustic Double Bass.)

1. For training needs Acoustic DoubleBass. EUB - this is another tool that has a different character.
    2. You can not buy a good bass without considering them.
    3. For homework you can buy any cheap EUB. However, before you buy must sort things out in what are EUB and differ from each other.
    4. Contrabass complex tool. You need to be alert to the possibility that not easy to store, play and transportation.
    5. Good bass is very expensive. But to play it - great fun!

You have not filled in the data. I do not know where you live, and what choices you basses available. Besides not defined maximum price. It is very difficult to give you advice.

My advice - find a few options available to you and show them in this forum. We advise any better.

Thank you that you have read my message. Sorry for my bad language. :)

7. kbwinter

kbwinter Guest

Oct 16, 2009
    Does the school have any basses that are currently unused? Perhaps your son could be allowed to borrow one to keep at home for practice. My 8th grade daughter's school loans her a bass for school and one for home. She even keeps one over the summer! This minimizes the transportation issues, although we do occasionally pick up the "good" bass at school for rehersals and concerts elsewhere.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Just curious, when do they move up to a 3/4 bass in that district? My son started upright in 9th grade and he went straight to the 3/4.