1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

16 Ohm Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Clark Westfield, Jun 29, 2020 at 5:14 AM.

1. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I am looking online and found a 16 ohm cabinet. 500 watts @16 ohms.

usually it’s 8 and 4 ohm specs on the head. And other cabinets.

Any input on this?

2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Um, what exactly is the question?

2tonic and bobyoung53 like this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Is it a guitar cab?

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    If your amp is solid state, 16 ohms wont hurt anything. Using a higher than minimum impedance load will lower the maximum output potential of the amp. Some also feel there can be sonic tradeoffs as well.

The red flag for me here is that VERY few bass cabs are 16 ohm. Actually almost none. Guitar cabs are rarely a good idea for bass, and 16 ohm guitar cabs aren't uncommon. Be sure that if it's a deal you "cant pass up " that it is actually a bass cab.

5. 16 Ohms is a common tap on all-tube guitar-amps.
    Otherwise, you can get FOUR of those & run a total load of 4 Ohms.

Doctor Intrepid and GreggBummer like this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I don't know of any 16 ohm speakers rated for 500 watts RMS. Why? Because it's not useful for 99.9% of the market.

inthevelvet, dkelley, MCF and 3 others like this.
  7. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    The only 16 ohm bass cab I've so far encountered is my Eden EX112.

Works good as a practice cab, but it's kind of a pain to use in conjunction w/ other cabs "correctly" since they seem to almost always be 8 or 4 ohms. It was cheap & sounds fairly decent by itself so I don't complain too much.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Marshall 300W 412’s can be switchable 4 or 16 ohms mono, or 8 ohms stereo. Ampeg had 16 ohm cabinets, intended to be used in pairs. That’s where you typically see 16 ohm cabinets.

But maybe the online cab that’s for sale has the impedance listed incorrectly.

MarkA likes this.
  9. Back in the day in the UK a typical 4x12 would be 16Ω. However the power handling would be 80-100W.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. Is this a home brew cab?

Link to said cab please.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I looked through the Celestion speaker selector and I believe the highest wattage available in a 16 ohm 412 would be 600W; not that I think it would handle anywhere close to that much power below 100hz.

G12H-150 Redback

12. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I have an old bass series Marshall 4x12 cabinet that is (was) 16 ohm. The original Celestion 12” speakers were only rated 75 watts each, so I suppose the cabinet would be rated at 300 watts when loaded with four of the original speakers. It was designed to be used with a second 4x12 cabinet that was also 16 ohms for a combined impedance of 8 ohms to be driven by a Super Bass head. Sort of a Lemmy rig...

13. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    The B-25B was an odd duck at 16 ohm. The matching 2 x 15 was, but I went through the process years ago of trying to find a smaller cab with a 16 and it was painful. It's not common for bass. The ironic thing was the B-15S which was basically the same thing was 8 ohm.

14. I have a 16 ohm 2x10.

Actually it's a 4 ohm cab that I rewired to sit atop a 4x10 :)

MarkA and agedhorse like this.
  15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I would think that at 50Hz, the power handling of that speaker would be roughly 200 watts RMS.

I recall Xmax being around 1mm, not a bass speaker.

Wasnex likes this.
  16. If it has 4 speakers, you can rewire it to be 4 ohms. But yes the big question is, is it a bass cab? Seems more likely to be a guitar cab. Bu4 if it has 4 equal speakers and total cab impedance is 16 ohms, you probably can rewire it to be cab total equaling 4 ohms.

17. Again back in the day one would use the same model of Marshall cabinet for bass or guitar. It those days in the UK cabinets often standardized at 16Ω whilst in the US it was 8Ω.

Actually the UK was more 15Ω, 7.5Ω and 3.75Ω.

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Back in the day there weren't 500 watt amps either.

Lobster11 and dbase like this.
  19. True dat! :)

agedhorse likes this.
  20. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I don't know much about historical cabs/cab standards, but I was going to say that this (5.3 Ohm, modular 6x10) would be a good use for a 16 Ohm cab (and the cab would be easy enough to put back to 4 Ohms if you needed or wanted to, later).

If you had a relatively powerful amp and wanted to take out just the 2x10 for a small gig, it would also allow you to run the 2x10 more safely.

As to the specific cab in the OP, more info is needed about the cab and the intended use to say much.