1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1963 Les Paul Gibson Maya Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by linbell11, Dec 11, 2011.

1. linbell11

linbell11

Dec 11, 2011
    I recently acquired a 1963 Les Paul Gibson Maya bass...was wondering if anyone has seen one or knows anything about it. I have read about Fender and Rick copies, but have not seen anything on this style Maya bass.

2. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass linbell11.

I haven't seen one, but I'd hope to.

So, pics would be nice ;).

Regards
    Sam

3. linbell11

linbell11

Dec 11, 2011
    Here ya go. I'm new to this, so I hope I attached the pic correctly.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Nice! can you do some closeups?

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    well, it's obviously not a Gibson. looks like a MIJ LP bass from the 70's judging by its bolt on neck, TRC, inlays, tuning keys and bridge.

6. Yeah I cant see that being a 63

7. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    yeah, 70's MIJ for sure.

8. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Maya or El Maya is made in Japan. I have a Ric 4001s copy made by them. El Maya was supposed to be a higher quality model.

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    This gets a little involved... It appears that Maya was a brand first produced by the Matsumoto Musical Instruments Manufacturers Association, but distributed and later (1976) acquired outright by the trading house Rokkomann. Mayas were then built at their factory in Kobe until it was destroyed by an earthquake in the 90's. Imports to the UK were rebranded e.g. Avon (Rose Morris) or Columbus. Quality was average for the time.

El Maya, on the other hand, was a deluxe line built for Rokkomann by the Tahara company of Matsumoto, some at the Chushin plant in Nagano. I've played a couple of El Maya LP copy guitars, and they were very high quality.

10. Howzit

Howzit

Aug 23, 2011
    Pella, IA
  11. Pudge921

Pudge921

Dec 27, 2011
    Hi all. I'm new here so sorry if I mess this up.
    My son found a maya bass in a friends basement. $40 dollars later and it plays great. Needs new PG and tlc. Has Hi-A pickups. Any info on these maya would be appreciated

I'll post a pic soon.

12. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    It looks pretty solid on appearances. How about that bridge? Is it adjustable? Is that a string mute I see?

13. Pudge921

Pudge921

Dec 27, 2011
    Here are some pics of the maya I discussed. http://photobucket.com/albums/k588/doug921/maya bass[img]
    Comments about pickups, value, wood type, etc would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    iCancer fail

:(

15. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    e978c331.
    fbe47c84.

It's a copy of a Gibson Ripper from about 1976-77. Several Japanese companies made these. The neck is 3-piece
    maple, the body looks like "Japanese ash", known there as tomo.

The original pickups have been changed out to Hi-A's, which were made by Bill Bartolini up to 1978. Also, it seems
    the rotary switch has been removed and replaced with a simple toggle. The tuners have been replaced with a set
    of Grovers - not a bad thing. The bridge cover is gone, but not really needed.

You say it plays well, so all you need now is a new pickguard, proper installation of the G string tuner and a Gibson
    "speed knob" for the missing one. Nice bass.

16. Pudge921

Pudge921

Dec 27, 2011
    Cdef
    Thanks for the info. I lifted the pg just now to see what was inside. Definitely old, looks original, but I really can't tell. All the pots were 500k (maybe said CHINA), but no other marks.

I'm working with pick guard heaven for replacement, but can't remove speed knobs without further damage to the pg, so tracing is a pain.

Thanks again for the info on the wood. Do u think a garden-variety luthier could fix the tuner?

17. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    What is the deal with the bridge? Holy radius, Batman!

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This is the first and only bass I've ever seen that scares me. I'm going to have nightmares about it. I know it.

19. Pudge921

Pudge921

Dec 27, 2011
    What's really freaky is that the left post has a small hex nut inserted between it and the bridge as a spacer.

20. Pudge921

Pudge921

Dec 27, 2011
    We just replaced all the caps and pots in a Maya (Gibson) Ripper. We Tried to replace everything exactly as before except we used an audio taper instead of a linear taper for the volume pot. Now the volume has very little dynamic range and can't be turned off completely. Is it because of the different taper or did we screw up something else?

Thanks for the help. Would load pics but you might make fun of the soldering.