1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1983 Ibanez Musician Single pick up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vernhillbass, Mar 23, 2013.

1. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    I just received a 1983 Ibanez Musician with single pick up from a friend to check out. It has been sitting under s bed for the last 30 years. It's neck through and crafted in Japan. It has 1 switch and 2 knobs. Just trying to find out more about this bass. I have not had a chance to play it yet. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364056791.018913. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364056831.474969.

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    It's an MC824. Similar in construction to the very excellent MC924, but with a single pickup and passive electronics. The quality of construction of that bass is superb. IMO, the best of it's day. A very high quality instrument.

3. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Can't wait to get home and play it through my amp. It's very heavy. scmd, do you know what kind of wood it's made from?

4. I have what I was led to believe is an MC-824; it has two pickups, is passive, bolt-on. Heavy, sweet and unique tone.

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The neck is maple, the body wings are ash. The pickup in that bass is rather sophisticated for it's day. It selects, if I recall correctly, between 2 types of humbucker and one single coil. That is an excellent bass.

6. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Great! They were great in the 80's, they're still great now.
    Only issue, the weight - but they were fantastic beasts.

7. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    It has a tuner that was replaced and a couple of scratches on the back. How is the market for these and can you guess a ballpark value? My friend is looking to sell this (if I don't buy it) and get a 5er. Really excited to hear the 30 year old strings. Love the sound of old strings!

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The MC824 may have varied at times between 1 and 2 pickups, but to the best of my knowledge they weere never bolt on. Your bass may be a Roadster model. Can you post a photo?

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That bass is from the 2nd generation of the Musician series. These basses are less valuable than the early models. The MC924's commonly sell in the $500-$600 range. The MC824's sell for considerably less. I'd estimate that a fair price for that bass - considering it has a changed tuner - would be $300.

Mind you, that's the market. As far as value goes, you couldn't hope to buy a new bass of that quality for that kind of money today.

10. I'll try later this afternoon- it says *Studio* on the truss rod cover. Googling images shows lots of variation.
    On topic- value-wise, I've seen them in the $500-$800 range... Stole mine for $200(w/slightly wonky electronics- scratchy pots, intermittent PU toggle).

11. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    A rarity! Cool! Wish I still had my MC924 in Polar White and my MC924 fretless in Mahogany Stain.

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Ah. Your bass is a Studio. An ST824. It looks very much like a Musician, but is a bolt on model with different pickups and electronics. Also a nice bass.

13. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Thanks for all the help. Really love this site! T minus 5 hours to plug in and turn up.

14. as soon as you snag it, run and keep it forever! That is an extremely rare and excellent player axe!

15. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    When you get it, perhaps you could post a photo of the back of the headstock? I'd be curious what kind of a job the previous owner did in changing out that tuner.

16. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    That thing's sweet, Phil Lynott had one of those single pickup models...I don't know exactly which one though.

17. smcd is right. It is a MC 824 of 1983.

It is the second generation of Ibanez Musicians, that aren't collectors items as the first generation. I wonder why.
    But they're not worse sounding and are of the same qualitiy.

You can see this bass here:
    http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1983-84b/04.jpg

And here you can see the specs of that bass:
    http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1983-84b/05.jpg

Nice bass, I like the simple way of it.

When Ibanez started the series "Musician" there was a single pu bass model, too.
    It was the MC800, as you can see here:
    http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1979/11.jpg

The Musician GUITAR series had a cheaper model called MC 100, with a bolt on neck, seen here:
    http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1978/11.jpg

After approx. 1 year of production, they switched to a neck through system even for the cheapest model, then called MC150.

As far as I know, there were no bolt on Musician basses.

18. Correct, of course- old-timers moment/brain-fart. Agreed on nice. :cool:

19. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Great looking bass. What is the neck shape on that? Is it thin or chunky?

20. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Played it yesterday, sounds burpy, like a P bass. Seems like a one trick pony sonically. The issue came when I pulled off the strings. The E tuner had collapsed and half of the A tuner was broken off. Truss rod worked. Needs a through cleaning and fret level. It also needs the E and A nut slots deepened. Electronics worked. It really is a well made bass. The D tuner that was replaced was a 4 screw vs. the original 2 screw tuner (bummer). This is a players bass. I have to say I am impressed with build quality. After just buying a Lakland 55-02, I see the difference attention to detail really makes. Made an offer to the owner and if he does not accept it you will see it posted here for sale.