1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1983 Precision Elite I w/ gold plated hardware.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rebel1222, Apr 1, 2013.

1. rebel1222

rebel1222

Jun 13, 2012
    I just traded my CIJ Geddy Lee Signature Jazz bass for a 1983 American made Precision Elite I bass. I wanted some thoughts and opinions on the Elie bass, and whether or not you think this was a good trade for me..

My thoughts are:
    This bass isn't in as good a cosmetic condition as the GL bass, but is sounds amazing, (way better imo than the GL bass), .. great tone, and just a really thick sound coming out of this bass.. Also, if i keep it, i will likely install a Bad AssII bridge, some passive Bassline 1/4lb pick upsm, and a black pick guard..

I also was wondering what this bass might be worth? really don;t have a clue.. i guess as long as it is closed to the value of the GL bass, I'll be happy.

2. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Those are really nice basses. After going from a Jazz, you might have to adjust to the extra wide neck.

Have you played it stock yet? The original pickups and electronics on those sound amazing... at least to my ears.

3. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I'd say leave it stock. The bridge and pickup(s) are what make those basses unique. Swap those out and you've got any other modded P-Bass.

4. rebel1222

rebel1222

Jun 13, 2012
    Yes, been playing it all weekend.. i am having trouble justifying the need to change the pick ups out.. i just prefer passive.. my other bassis a
    MIM jazz with 1/4 lb. p pickup installed at the neck and it sounds amazing as well. i will be using both for some shows, and i hope i don;t get messed up going from one to another in the same gig..

5. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I am fairly certain the pickups on those are passive, just the preamp is active. You could test them, and if they are passive, you could just bypass the preamp.

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    An '83 Precision Elite is worth a lot more than a Geddy Lee Jazz. I'd make trades like that all day, every day. However, if you want to decrease the value of that '83 Ellite, go ahead and put a Badass bridge and Seymour Duncan p/u's in it. That'll lower the value of the Elite to the level of the GLee, and it will only cost you a few hundred dollars to do it.

If the Elite "sounds amazing, great tone", why would you even consider changing the bridge and pickups?? :confused:

7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner

Yes. This.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Elite Precisions already have a factory heavy mass cast bridge, so I see absolutely no point in switching to a badass.

9. rebel1222

rebel1222

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks for the thoughts on this guys.. that's exactly why i posted that.. i certainly don't want to decrease the value of the bass. so i'l leave it as is. I figured the collective knowledge on this board would steer me in the right direction..

Any idea on wht this bass would be worth?

10. rebel1222

rebel1222

Jun 13, 2012
    The main reason would be that the gold plating has been flaking off the bridge and tuners, and i want to put a black pick guard on the black bass and the pick ups are also white.. and the p/u's AND the pick gaurd has faded to the yellowish shade of off-white due to age.

11. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Keep it stock, those basses will surely increase in value in some years. If they're stock, of course.

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Post a few photos. Let's have a look at it.

13. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

I had Elite II (2xP pups) and it was one of the best sounding basses I've had. Keep it stock, it's a unique instrument. And it has high mass bridge that adds good sustain. Don't swap it, it'd be meaningless.

14. Agreed. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. The stock bridge should have the fine-tuners. And, as Mr. Fresh stated above, the electronics is what makes these bass, compared to your run-of-the-mill P-Bass. So, IMHO, don't change a thing!! I've seen the asking price for these in mint condition from 2k and up. Whether they sold for that, or not, I haven't the slightest.

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well, a pickguard change to black would be a harmless swap. Just be sure to screw the old white one to a wood plank so it doesnt curl and warp.
    The pickguard problem with the Elite I is the knobs are spaced further apart than a standard P, and also the pickup shapes. So you'll probably have to get a custom cut guard made from Pickguardian.

16. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    This is correct. I had 2 Elite II's (one a Gold version like yours) and the PG's are non-standard. I had to send one off to make sure I got exact replacements.

P.S. +1 on leaving it alone. The PG is one thing, but gutting it wouldn't be in your best interest IMO. If you don't like the sound of it, or you prefer a different look, my advice would be to sell it (they're in the $1200 range for VG condition) and get an American Standard P from 1983. The neck is identical and it's already fully passive.

Attached Files:

17. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Sounds gorgeous!!

18. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Local music store had one in White w/ gold hardware and they were asking 1800 which is probably a little high, but it sounded and looked great. Most Geddy's are fetching 400-500 on the used market. Plus I could throw a ball into a music store and hit 9 Geddy Lee basses, not so many P Elites.

Count me in the group that says not to mod it either...

19. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I've had an '84 Elite II for about 14 years now. Awesome bass! Mine's probably worth double what I paid for it. The Lace Sensor pickups are passive. If you want, you could probably bypass the pre, but you'd lose a ton of oomph and beefiness. Knowing the full force of the capabilities of this bass, I wouldn't change a thing. I thought you could get a new pickguard at Pickguard Heaven, but they only have the Elite II on their site. Looks like you'd have to do a trace.

Congrats on the score!

20. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    They are Nitro too, right?