1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2-4x10 cabs or 2-1x15 cabs what's the consensus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keiththebassist, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Disclaimer: Forgive me if this has been asked I did a search and didn't find much relating to my exact question. If your sick of a thread like this then just don't participate (duh)

I currently run two Hartke XL series cab and love em, but I am giving way to reason and engineering instead of my initial impression. I am going to sell one and then buy a match for the one I don't sell. How does everyone feel about two 4X10's vs. two 1X15's? I have heard that 10" speakers can reproduce lows as well as 15's. I'm not sure which to sell, I'm leaning towards the 4X10s though.

Now everyone play nice...

2. Multiple 10s are the best way to go IMO.

3. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not sure why you need to move that much air, but 2-410 cabs will, in most cases I can think of, blow a couple of 15's away. I did own a Hartke XL410, and thought it was quite weak compared to other 410.s. But, compared to a Hartke 115, it was better. So, sell the 115 and get another 410

4. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    2 4x10's. Much better overall. They do make an 8x10xl that might work also.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

In the case of Hartke 410xl's.......get another. Big difference when using 2.

6. I vote for using multiple 10's

7. I like some 15s myself. I'm using a 2x15 at the moment and it sounds great! Try them out and see what your ears say.

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Something about it....I always liked.

edit...I use 2..2x12's now....

9. I'm a fan of and own both. My 2 410's are much better quality then my old Kustom 215 though... If I had to choose though I'd go with the 2 410s.

10. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

+1

I love a stacked pair of 15's. I used to play through a stacked pair of Bergantino HT115's. Best cab setup I ever had. I'm still trying to locate the short circuit in my brain that caused me to sell that stack.:meh:

11. +1

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Both can be quite excellent, and I have two 115 rigs as well as an 810, but if we're talking Hartke, I'd almost definitely keep the 410.

13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I really liked the 115xl hartke as a standalone...but prob not powerful enough.
    I did really like the 215XL I heard

14. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    410s will be louder, but will also beam mids more. I'd just go with whatever you like the sound of best.

15. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    In other words, there is no consensus. :)

16. tomyaubass

tomyaubass

Dec 5, 2011
    How about 212. I played an Eden 212 can and it fast and snappy enough to cover the attack, produced mid growls and had a beefy bottom end. They certainly do not make enough of them. I would certainly throw that in the mix the next time I look for a cab

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not significantly. A 115 is still going to beam pretty badly.

18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    objectively, the 2 4x10s will kick ass over the 2x15s (hell, one 4x10 has almost as much speaker area as 2 15s by itself).

subjectively, i like 15 cabs for their fat midrange, and so use two of those. mine get plenty loud.

19. To match the volume of 2x410 (or 8X10) you need 4X15 speakers. Just fyi if you don't already know ;)

Me, I'd keep those 410xl's.

20. From memory the 15 box goes lower than the 10. Check their website.

As others have noted, 4 10s will be louder than 1 15