1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2008/2009 MIM P Bass - $300???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baybaytenayjay, May 25, 2018.

1. Hey All,

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not I should by a 2008/2009 p bass from a local store for $300... Is this a fair price? I'm thinking I would replace the pickup if need be (maybe custom shop '62).

2. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    Sounds fair. I just sold a mexican jazz for 350.

spaz21387 and SirMjac28 like this.
  3. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Condition? If fair, then yes.
    I had a 2000 which had the rudest (in a good way) pickup I'd heard in a while. No need to change the pickup unless you're tone chasing.
    I would hazard that you'd be able to flip it on here for that price very quickly if it's not your cup of tea.

4. babsobass

babsobass

Jan 10, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    If it's in decent condition, that is a fair price. I have a 2009 MIM P. I put in an original 62 pickup and new electronics and love it.

SirMjac28 and Aqualung60 like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    On average MIM Std. PBasses on Reverb are going for $400 and up depending condition and finish so depending on it's condition I'd say $300 is a fair bargain.

If you'd like another suggestion for a pickup. I don't think you could find a better PBass pickup than this one; Bill Lawrence/Wilde P46. It's what I play in mine.

Bass Pickups

6. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    $300 All day, every day for a decent MIM bass. My #1 is a '94 MIM P-Bass. The pickups did not need replacement and sound great to me for about 7 years now. Lord knows, I will change pickups on a guitar in a hot hurry if I don't like them or think they are ill-suited.

Keep an open mind about the pickups as they are.

7. Used MIM is the best deal around. $300 is a perfect price if in good condition.

edencab and Son of Wobble like this.
  8. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    That's what I sold mine for, and what I'd aim to spend to buy another one.

Can't really go wrong as long as the truss turns, the frets are good, and the electronics work.

spaz21387 likes this.
  9. Thanks, everyone! I pulled the trigger and got it. I'll play it for a bit and decide if it needs any upgrades. I'll post some pics soon!

10. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Sounds like a good deal actually I had a MIM 62 reissue jazz that was 450

11. I’ve bought two Mexican fenders used for $300. If the bass is in decent shape it’s a good deal.

12. $300, a very fair price for a MIM P. Just check neck and truss integrity. Almost everything else can be remedied without too much grief. I own 2 MIM Precisions. Did not care for the stock tone and response. Installed Fender Original '62 in one and Seymour Duncan SPB-1 in the other. Improvement was like "Night and Day" (thank you Cole Porter). Go for it.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I just sold a 2016 mim P for 475 in excellent conition with Fralin pickups, upgraded tuners, bridge and and wiring harness, 300 is good but I would still Hagle down...

spaz21387 likes this.
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's a good price and a nice replacement pup is the Curtis Novak Charlie Christian model.

15. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My first bass is a 98 MIM P that I still have/play. It was purchased four years ago for 325. In excellent condition. Since then, not including strings, I’ve put about 250 into it for pups, strap locks, bone nut and pickguard. I love that bass. Yep, 300 is worthwhile if you can accept it has room for improvement.

16. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Depending on condition that's a fair price. I recently picked up an 02 Precisionand an 08 Jazz for $300 combined. The Jazz has Dimarzio pickups in it, the Precision had some issues with condition but after a good cleaning and some minor repairs, new Dimarzio split rail pickups installed I can't put it down.

I also recently scored a 2006 Deluxe Jazz MIM with a tweed case in excellent condition for $400. I used to have a great aversion to used basses, but for the money and time invested to clean and repair, used MIMs are a great deal.

17. The_Lucek

The_Lucek

May 21, 2011
    Boy do you 'Mericans got it good. The same fender MIM bass here over the pond would go for easily double that.
    Can't wait to see the pics though!

18. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    Good approach. You may find you like the pickups and most PBass are like a good old fashioned wheel barrow. Simple but effective for the task at hand. I don't find a whole lot of difference between those in excellent condition no matter where they're made and they are stupid easy to upgrade if you wish. Play on.

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve been kinda sorta flipping MIM J basses for a while now and $300 for an MIM P would be about top dollar for one in excellent condition if you were looking to make a little on it. If you are getting it as a player it’s a better than average deal if it plays well and everything works and no bad dings.

Skillet likes this.
  20. 5D21DF70-5103-4D1D-9DE7-A509179B1CB5.JPG Sorry for the late posting! Here she is though. Only one or two scratches on the back. Barely any sign of use really. Right now everything feels and sounds great so I'll probably just stick with everything until something needs to change. Thanks again everyone!

Bassa Nova, saabfender and Bass V like this.