1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2009 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by peterbright, Sep 20, 2008.

1. thats interesting, why are these american measurements smaller than british ones??? Is there a slight inferiourity complex meaning americans have to make measurements smaller then?:bag:

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Not sure about the history, but American volumetric units are all smaller/different, including ounces, quarts, gallons, etc.... Should be info explaining the reasons somewhere on the web.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units#Units_of_capacity_and_volume

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I rented a Skoda Octavia (Passat TDI rebadged) in France a few years ago and probably got close to 50mpg. I couldn't believe how little diesel that thing used in two days of driving through the Loire Valley.

4. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I regularly exceed the EPA estimate on my wife's car by 3-6 mpg just by keeping it at abou 60 on the highway. But not double or triple! Also, the EPA mileage estimation system was revamped a couple years back, making it more accurate. Most car's EPA estimated numbers went down, but some went up!
    Actually manuals do worse these days in many cases than automatics. Automatic transmissions have come a long way.

5. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Not sure about their current testing regime, but if they use steady-state testing, then EPA testing may not accurately reflect the real world mileage of many hybrids because hybrids achieve a good deal of their efficiency from regenerative braking (among other energy saving techniques), and perform much better in stop-and-go traffic than while freeway cruising. For freeway use, high efficiency gas or diesel vehicles are often better....

6. If his Passat is a diesel, he could. I used to have a diesel Golf in the UK - same engine as the diesel Passat, and would get close to 70mpg (that's UK gallons... 54-ish US) on the motorway (less around town though, obviously). The Passat's a slightly bigger, heavier car, so that figure makes sense to me.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i was just trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

that being said, i just looked today in a british music magazine here in the bookstore i'm doing my net-nanigans today (mojo) and the passat was listed in an ad in the mag to have mpg ranging from 38-58.9 mpg. granted, given the "litres per 100 kilometers" rating that it had in parenthesis, it was most certainly -not- the same size gallon as an american gallon, but still, this rating spanned the american mpg rating given on the passat website nearly to the amount that blonde bassist mentioned he was getting (converted).

on the other hand...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/20937.shtml
    according to the u.s. epa the gas mileage for a diesel passat is approx 27 mpg combined, hiway and city. notice it's also considered one of the worst polluters.

on the other hand, the prius is rated at approx 45 mpg, and is considered one of the greenest cars available.

a new passat is 33% more expensive than a new prius and gets 1/2 the gas mileage. the passat has 96.3 cu ft of interior passenger room and 14.2 cu ft of cargo space. the prius has 96.2 cu ft of passenger space and 14.4 cu ft of cargo space.

someone asked "why a prius vs. a passat"? :eyebrow:

i'll chalk up bb's excellent gas performance with his vehicle at least partially to his driving skills. imagine if he drove the same way with a prius as he does with the passat - he'd get 140 mpg :).

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not true in me experience. best performance i get is cruise control on highway. can easily break 55 mpg (american gallons :D ) on a long highway trip cc'ed at 60 mph.

my worst mileage is in start-stop gun and brake traffic.

edit : according to the epa website, they've changed their testing regimen to more closely parallel the real world. the prius' mpg results took a pretty solid hit in the process - used to be 61/55 but now is around the mid to high 40's.

9. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Hmmmm.... the new TDIs have a significant power boost and are supposed to have much lower emissions. Also, it is worthwhile to look at the fact that an older TDI burns a relatively small amount of fuel, so the emissions are actually relatively low per mile/kilometer.

10. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Which vehicle are you talking about?

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my apologies. i have a prius.

12. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Ah..... I don't!

Anyway, there are a lot of unknowns here, like the details of the EPA testing procedures as well as your driving style. Though, IMO, in general real world results are helpful.....

13. Just to chime in, I've usually pegged the EPA ratings for my cars. 41 mpg for the all conquering power of the feared (and mighty) 2006 Corolla.

Mike

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hehe, that's a great quote.

15. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
  16. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Codify low-sulphur diesel like they have in Europe and run the cleaner burning diesel engines which require low-sulphur diesel and that changes considerably.

17. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I was going to ask if it was a diesel. If it is the numbers seem reasonable.

18. We have no reason to over-compensate:D

Mike

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the epa site i linked to above lists out their testing methodology.

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    does it change for the better, or worse?