1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2009 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by peterbright, Sep 20, 2008.

1. anniemcu

anniemcu

May 24, 2008
    Missouri, US
    Pubisher, NEMOFOTMAD Chord Book
    I got the manual. It's got a lot more room in it that it looks like it could. I've nicknamed it "the TARDIS".

With three people, one guitar (I thnk two would be easy enough), the bass (half size, but with enough room to spare that I am sure I could have gotten the 3/4 in with not too much trouble) and a goodly bit of assorted other stuff, quite comfy. My son is 6'4" and is comfortable in front or back seats.

The rear seats have several ways to fold to be out of the way and make room for different needs.

I highly recommend a Fit. The only thing I don't like is the low beams on the headlights. Other than that, I'm very happy with it.

2. I live in Berkeley, CA, where - outside of the south-side ghetto - about every third car you encounter is a Prius, "Smart" car or the like. What I've found is that most of the people driving this type of car should be taking public transportation.

When coming up on a Prius from behind, I always prepare to pass. Although there's only one street in Berkeley with a speed limit higher than 25, these clowns almost always drive 5-10 mph below the limit.

When encountering a Prius at a 4-way stop or a left-turn lane situation, I always act as if my vehicle, a GMC pickup, is invisible. That way, when the Prius driver turns in front of me when I have the right-of-way, or, conversely, sits motionless at the intersection for no reason when she has it, I am not caught off guard.

I can only assume that these folks are rapt in awe at their 15th reviewing of a Noam Chomsky book on disk or are just beginning to feel the effects of their meds.:scowl:

3. frostymoose

frostymoose

Mar 26, 2008
    One more thing to note: An Imperial gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallons.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

On a whim, I bought a '91 Subaru Loyale wagon with 140,000 miles on the odo and proceeded to drive it around for 3 years. I was getting a consistent 33 MPG out of it in mixed driving (city and Hwy) and I hauled large amounts of gear around in it, navigated numerous snowdrifts and ice patches with ease in 4WD mode and had plenty of room for my wife and daughter (in her child seat).

I paid $2,400 for the car and sold it for $500 with more than 240,000 miles on the meter.

I have no idea if this has more or less "impact on the planet" than someone who buys a brand new Toyota Prius and spends the next three years carting their family around in it.

5. anniemcu

anniemcu

May 24, 2008
    Missouri, US
    It's a long tradition of pouty truculence that has, unfortunately, become an American value.
    (I get to say this because I am anchored in both the UK and the US. :D)

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It is VERY BAD for you to fill the tank this high. When the pump clicks off, take the nozzle out and put it away. DO NOT TOP OFF!!!!
    Low emissions not counting the unburned gasoline fumes from overfilling the tank.

7. anniemcu

anniemcu

May 24, 2008
    Missouri, US
    OK. Would you mind explaining that to me? I believe you, but I would like to understand the reason.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Check your owner's manual. Or check google. A buddy of mine was recently shocked to discover that he had to pay $500 for a replacement overflow vapor cannister for his car because he topped off all the time.