1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2009 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by peterbright, Sep 20, 2008.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

Quite true.

Those things aren't half bad. I can name few cars that are worse:

Pontiac-Aztek.

Just please, contain the smug.

2. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I used to own an Aztek & I loved it. It averaged 20 + MPG, could tow 6,500 lbs and haul 2 8x10 cabs inside. It did get strange looks.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    started? wow, didn't take me getting a prius to start that.

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    easily. i've put all my basses, a rack and one of my cabs in one and still had room to squeeze my wife in too. and still got over 44 mpg without trying (granny driving) too hard.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you sure you don't get 60 kpg in your passat? otherwise, you must have a flux capacitor in there, because you're getting triple the mpg the car has been tested and rated for by the manufacturer.

even if it is "kpg", 60 kpg is equivalent to 36 mpg, and the passat is rated for less than 25.

so, yeah. proof of your physics-bending would be WIN. :hyper:

6. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Mine is due an oil change, can you take it in for me?

7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Some rashes soap and water just can't touch. :eek:

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Your legs (not to mention the rest of you) are not up to my standards. Sorry.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ive had three Passat wagons of various engine types (none were 4-motion) and the best mileage was on the 1.8t that soul get about 28 mpg on the highway.

10. No, I mean 60 miles to the gallon. It's pretty simple really, you just drive economically. Most cars (certainly in the europe) have an optimum speed for fuel consumption which is usually around 56 miles per hour, which is the equivelant of about 100km per hour. You'll find this is the speed most trucks will be going on the motorways in this country. So if you stick at a reasonable speed (certainly for motorway driving) I usually go for around 60mph. Don't break if you don't need to ( use the cars natural deceleration, maybe do a bit of coasting here and there (by coasting I meam putting you foot down on the clutch so the engine isn't engaged, which isn't totally all that safe acording to some, but it cuts down on unneeded engine use) accelerate efficiently (not up hill as it takes more energy to accelerate uphill than it does down hill, think about it), gradual acceleration instead of foot down to the floor kinda thing, so you either don't have to break, or only have to break slightly. Make sure your tyre pressures are all correct, take roof bars off if their not being used. Take any unneccesary weight out of the car, so all that crap thats sitting in the boot/back seat, does it really need to be there?

Another tip would be tailgating trucks, but I don't recomend that because it's highly unsafe. If you're right behind a big truck, the truck is making a huge hole in the air and you can sneak at the back before the air comes back together infront of your car, which cuts down on air resitance, and improves economy. However, if you're right behind a truck, you can't see whats going on infront of him, he can't see you. If he breaks suddenly you simply don't have enough time to react before slamming into the back or him and going underneath it, which is really not a clever idea.

Simple things really, it does work though. Maybe you need a manual car rather than an automatic though to get it a bit higher, cause there's a lot in there with short shifting and stuff like that, which can sometimes help also.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol. i don't care if your commuting around everest downhill both ways, there's no way you're getting 60 miles to the gallon.

epa mpg estimates are extremely generous in their calculations and testing - most folks, see less mpg results than the epa estimates, and those folks who do achieve better get on the order of 20% max. not triple the rating.

edit : manuals do end up getting slightly better mpg than automatic, but still. triple? not physically possible.

12. I shall check it on the next tank and see what the maths say.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool :). hey, i've been wrong before. lol. seriously though, i have always been curious as to how much better a manual can do than an automatic.

14. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    monster_truck_kinsmen.

RAGE!!!!!

15. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Note that the U.K. (like a lot of the world, including Canada) uses imperial gallons, which are approximately 20% larger. That would convert to roughly 50 mpg US.

On a side note, overall, metric makes much more sense....

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, on the metric thing.

and interesting, did not know that about imp gallons. being a wookiee at heart, i'd much prefer the rebel litres though. :D

17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I'd love to see someone tow 6500 lbs with an Aztek. :rollno:

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Here's a tip:

DO NOT DO THIS!!! A simple rule of thumb here is this: If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you.

You're putting yourself in suicide territory by trying to get better mileage by sticking your car's nose up a truck's butt.

19. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The things he was talking about are referred to as "hypermiling". I was reading an article about a competition they have where people can get 150mpg in a prius, and over 50mpg in a standard vehicle

http://www.priusownersgroup.com/?cat=29

My mom got a Prius and driving it once in a while I felt like... (how to put this nicely)... a San Franciscan. But after I took it on a couple of 300 mile trips, and saw that it gets farther on 10 gallons than my car does on 16 gallons, that thing sure is cheap to drive!

20. which is why I said don't do it.