1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2009 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by peterbright, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Have you started enjoying the smell of your own farts yet?

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Big Props to Paul Gilbert for making that picture.

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou

Why would I want to be like you?

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's a Southpark reference. Have you seen the one where Kyle's dad buys a hybrid, moves to San Francisco, and starts smelling his own farts? Quite funny.

5. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I have the smart keys but the door won't open if it's more than 2 feet away... the funniest thing that happened to me however was I left my car running twice... and this was after the salesman warned me that's the most common problem.:rollno:

6. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Pushing the Park button is not intuitive either.

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  8. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Sag Harbor, NY
    Congrats on the new ride. I recently bought a Honda Fit. The seats fold up in several different configurations and it can hold a lot of gear. It almost has as much interior storage capacity as the Element. I've had it for about two months and have averaged between 30-35 mpg on every tank so far.

9. I wanted one of those but they were in extremely short supply when I was in the market.

Mike

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I'm trying real hard to care about these cars..............

nope, not happening. congrats on your purchase, and best of luck with it. If you're happy, that's all that matters. besides, with all the gas you save, that means there's more for me to burn(needlessly) in my Hot Rod :D

11. I get 60mpg from a 10 year old VW Passat, I dont understand why everyone thinks the Prius is so good, if you compare it to others on the market, it's effectively not economically worth it. (unless it's just being run off the battery, and then you'd be better off getting a g wiz).

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm getting 46 miles to the gallon in my 17 year old Honda Civic. I like the hybrid idea, but I don't understand why cars haven't gotten significantly more efficient in the last 20 years. If my old beater can do it, why not new cars?

13. Getting a new car/toy is always great. I hope that Prius runs well and does everything the OP wants.

I don't have any problem with people driving what they want to drive. I just want them to GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY instead of buying a car that gets 50 MPG and then holding up traffic by driving 50 in a 70 zone while trying to get another 2 MPG out of it. For some reason, I find that a lot of hybrid drivers are slow drivers even though they're getting 2x the MPG I am.

Drive what you want, drive any speed that's safe, but get OUT of the way and don't hold up traffic.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Consumer reports recently estimated that it take 5-6 years of owning a hybrid before you earn back the premium you pay over a typical economy car. That assumes that you don't pay over sticker, like many have. Prius owners had better plan on owning those cars for a long time to find any real economic benefit!

15. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Conversely, I was on the interstate several weeks ago, going about 82 mph. I got passed by a woman in a Prius, going at least 95 mph (while talking on her cell, of course). I was thinking, "man, she sure can pedal fast!" ;)

16. Consumer Reports aside, I would hope that anyone who was in the market for a fuel efficient vehicle in the interest if saving money would have done the math. The estimated 5-6 years it takes to reach the financial benefit also put you in uncharted territory with battery life, high mileage and general reliability.

Mike

17. It exists, but it's hella expensive. Introducing the Tesla Roadster, running purely off of electricity:

tesla-roadster.

It'll set you back a nice $100k though.

18. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

My wife has an acquaintance who paid a $3000 premium over sticker on a Prius because she was going to "save a ton" on gas. Needless to say, she was a little pissed when I showed her the CS article. She said "but the salesman told me I would save $5000 a year is gas!!!"

:rolleyes:

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe Prius owners aren't buying them for the "economic benefit". Ever think of that?:ninja:

20. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Of course. To many, they are a "prestige" item, to somehow demonstrate that they love mother earth more than the rest of us. Kinda silly, but we can thank Hollyweird for that little fad.