1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2009 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by peterbright, Sep 20, 2008.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That's why I like my SUV.

2. ....and we find common ground again.

Mike

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Eh, I don't like the looks, but they are interesting!

How the heck do you go for an oil change and come back with a car? That's a damn good salesman!

4. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Congrats! I drove my mom's Prius for a while; it's actually a pretty nice little car. While the looks are not my thing and I don't really care for the fact that the average owner is usually thought of as a big environmentalist, I actually liked the car a lot.

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    The torque of an electric engine is an underrated thing.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You need to drive a prius, then revisit this statement. Besides, the gas side of the engine is used during acceleration.

With the premium paid for a hybrid car, the smart money is better spent on a car with an efficient gas engine.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Hey cool. I had a chance to drive one of those. Pretty nice ride. I didn't really like the way they looked, but now that I drove one, I like them a lot.

8. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    There's a lot of electronic intervention between the gas pedal and the actual revving of the engine, in the name of getting more MPG, a more natural response, etc. I didn't say the Prius did not help in making the electric engine underrated. But there's a potential.

This is a good step forward IMO
    http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=8754&vf=23

But I'm going slightly off-topic, I think.

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Congrats on the car, enjoy.

10. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    congrats on the new car. I will never bash someone about what type of car they drive, my first car was a Ford Pinto Stationwagon that me and my dad converted into a pinto panel wagon :eek:

11. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I don't think so really. It just has a bit of a wedge shaped front like a Lambo. Other than that... :meh:

12. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    umm as an empoyee of an Toyota Dealership I can't say anything bad about the Prius

13. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I've driven one before, they're pretty damn quiet and has a cool dashboard, though I don't think I'll get one. I'm sticking with my good ol' Camry. :)

14. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    :D

Yeah, imagine the majority of current drivers suddenly buying a Prius or a hybrid alike. Imagine in a few decades all the used batteries we have to deal with.

That's no goodie for the environment. :atoz:

Or a car crash, with that weight on those tires it's more likely to happen. And if the batteries get damaged in such crash, and the acid flows out. All in the spirit of saving the planet.

Besides, with the way I drive a car a Prius in my hands will have about enough emission as a comparable size car with a conventional engine.
    Off course I can drive it like a grandma to reach that low emissions, but than I utter again that if I drive that slow with a regular car there isn't much difference. :D

I don't have anything against the OP and I hope he likes the car as a car.

But if I was an evil man I'd encourage everyone here to get a hybrid and lets all destroy nature in team effort. :)

:ninja:
    :bag:

15. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Got a chance to drive a rental Prius. It was nice.

I don't know why, but the most fun I had was passing really slow drivers with it.

EDIT: I think it was because I was saying to them, "You drive sooooo.... slow, even a Prius is faste!"

16. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    ToyotaPrius001.

This is the color. I like how they look & only 24K to buy. 100,000 mile quarantee on the battery & people are getting nearly what they paid for them after driving them 50k miles.

17. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. i drive a prius, its a nice car. looking at the Volt when it comes out. the best thing about the prius though, is it gives your your instant gas mileage kinda like a speedometer, so you literally get competitive with yourself for higher numbers. its made me into something of a granny driver, but for 55mpg i dont really care.

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Will it carry an upright?

20. That is hilarious.

No. Seriously. That is the best thing I've seen all night.